Need some help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Scruffy1, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Scruffy1

Scruffy1 New Member

LOL My wife is getting into it as well, she said she's going to pick me up some more creams and aftershaves when she goes to pick up my C&E BBB for me. :)

BTW, when I put the blade in the razor, does it matter which side of the blade faces up?

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

No. The blade are the same on both sides. On some blades, the edges are numbered, 1 & 2 on one side, 3 & 4 on the other. I used shave 1, 3, 4, 2, so I was alternating sides first, then switching to the other edge. But I gave up on that. Blades are so inexpensive, I don't think it pays to go to any length to get lots of shaves per blades. Now I use a blade for two days, one edge on one day, the other on the next day, then start anew. I open the razor a bit, run some water over the blade, close it up and shake it off. Most razors have some feature that makes it easy to tell the difference between the edges, a brand stamp, adjusting number, or other marks.

Also, for starters, I'd recommend the Dorco 300 blades. They aren't the sharpest of the lot, but they are very forgiving and good to use while one unlearns bad habits picked up using the M3, etc. Once you're getting your best shave, work your way through the blade sample packs. The "best" blade depends on many factors: personal preference, the razor, properties of your skin and hair, preparation, cream and lathering, and even after shave treatment.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

3. Scruffy1

Scruffy1 New Member

Today was the first day with the C&E BBB and I must say, it stinks! lol BUT it whips up the cream much quicker than the cheap Wilkenson brush I was trying. 2 shaves now with the Merkur HD and Derby blades and 'OK' shaves, but I don't think the Derby's are for me as I get a fair bit of irritation on my neck.