Need your advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BIG SAM, Aug 25, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

Newbie to shaving. Only a week in and have been reading about how a straight razor will give you the slickest shave. never use a straight razor because honing and stropping and mainly because i am scared of um. all that being said do you-all know of a system that with get you a straight razor shave with a double edge razor?
    thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    PLANofMAN, Karl G, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @BIG SAM to TSD!

There are varying degrees of aggressiveness to DE razors. For Vintage - a Gillette Red Tip, or an adjustable set to the higher numbers. For New DE's - I have an open comb Fatip that's quite aggressive, or I hear the Futur (and the Chinese clones) give a very close shave.

Another option is Injector types. There are quite a few Schick razors on the market. Do some research to decide where to jump into that rabbet hole.

Something that might satisfy your Open Blade desires - a shavette. Most take a particular type of blade. Some use half of a DE blade, others all the way up to a long straight razor like Hair Shaper (Weck) blade. These are not a training tool to learn straights. In many ways much more likely to nick and cut for the thinness of the blades used. The upside - no stropping or hones needed. Just pop in a fresh edge as needed.

mrchick and Keithmax like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Stropping is much easier than you think. Honing does not need to be done often and you get a pro to hone it for you. Come to the dark side....

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi and welcome!
    To be honest, a str8 won't necessarily give you a better shave. It might, but no guarantees. I get better shaves from my DEs and SEs than my str8s. But that's me.

bdalemauger, RyX, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Spyder likes this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

:signs046: Welcome to the Den. I came here in February when I started my straight journey. While here I found SE & Injector's and that is what I use now. :shaver

RyX and Spyder like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Injectors give a great close shave. I used them exclusively for over a year until I went str8 :). A straight shave is (imho) better on many levels. If straight shaving is an option, jump in right away, cuz you'll end up there anyway:). And just think about the straight shaves you'd have missed;)

GarnerPW, RyX and mrchick like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs2.png I have been shaving with str8s since January, but only on Saturdays. You can cut yourself more easily with a str8, too. A Gillette Slim or Schick Adjustable will give you a range of "aggression" that should get you that uber shave you are looking for.
    BTW. Welcome to TSD. Go to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself for a proper welcome.
    zwelcome1.jpg

RyX, BigMark83, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If you're looking for great shaves and a straight is not in your budget, then find yourself an injector razor.

You can find a Schick clone on Amazon, or you can pick up a vintage Schick on eBay for under $20. Blades are easily found, but virtually all online.

I find that injector razors give me the best shaves ever! That is, injectors give me better shaves than cartridges, straights, SE and DE razors. They're simple and easy to use too.

I use straight razors on the weekends and on my days off from work. I love using straight razors, but you will need the hardware to support it. It's a one time purchase for a strop and honing stones (don't need them right away) and they will last you a lifetime with proper care. You might not get the shave you're looking for initially with a straight as the learning curve is steep and you will cut yourself in the beginning, but they are fun.

RyX, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I've been finding this to be true myself. While I thoroughly enjoy the straight shaves, I find I get just as good of a shave from my other razors, and they're more forgiving. I encourage anyone interested to give it a try, but don't expect miracles, and you won't be disappointed.

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I read *somewhere* that a single-edge (GEM and such) gives nearly as close a shave as a straight. Don't know about that 'cuz I've never used a straight. A Schick adjustable with a twin blade gives an outstanding shave, as does my '41 Ranger Tech double-edge and ball-end Tech 3-piece. If I was gonna suggest a DE to a noob, I'd go with a Gillette Slim adjustable and a good Roosian coated blade (read: Voskhod). You'll have a great blade and the ability to adjust aggressiveness/mildness.

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

An Ikon Tech is a lot like shaving like a straight. The "safety bar" is there for show, it doesn't actually serve any purpose I can discern.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You always crack me up Jim.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Any (most) razors will give a great shave if used with the proper technique. From mild to aggressive, the key is to ride the edge leaving the skin smooth and comfy.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    upload_2017-8-26_11-48-21.jpeg

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    ;)

BigMark83 likes this.
  18. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I'm munching on a little humble pie today! Last evening I had what was definitely my worst shave ever. Left several areas stubbly, with only a handful of quality smoothness. Had three Nick's, and one wasn't even in a traditionally difficult spots...it was in the middle of my cheek! When I splashed on my beloved Veg after shave...ooooouuucccchhh! That immediately yold me what an epic fail the shave had been.
    That heavy burn opened my eyes in more ways than one. I knew exactly what had happened. My equipment is great...I happened to use a de with a new blde. My lather was the same consistency and product I always use. So I knew the only variable was me. Technique...we all stress it, preach it, but I forgot and ignored it's significance. As @david of central florida just said, it's totally the biggest component of our shaving experiences. Think about it this way, there are soooo many members here at TSD, and that represents thousands of variables in equipment, supplies and accoutrements. But the sheer number of those variables still results in tons of reports of great shaves!
    I rushed last night...didn't focus on angles or pressure, tried to do too much without enough lather...you name it, I ignored it.
    So tonight, I loaded up my mmoc with a new Ted Pella, brush lathered my Barbasol and just went back to the basics and focus. Awesome results!!! Even my Veg forgave me!
    It's always great to read feedback reminding us to focus on technique. Only wish I would have listened to my own advice last evening!

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For me, a straight gives a comfortable shave because it requires a gentle touch. It gives no closer of a shave, and I mostly don't understand the idea that it does. Factory blades are every bit as sharp or sharper, and the smaller blades and 90 degree angle of the blade to the handle make for a much more maneuverable tool. I can get every bit as close of a shave in less time with any number of safety razors.

What I get with a straight is a more comfortable shave and an enjoyable process.

RyX likes this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The dark side will always be there so you can't go wrong starting with SEs and injectors. Fantastic shaves and an easier learning curve. And it's the most happening, party thread in town. :) After that has got you hooked, break out the straights. We'll be waiting. :signs136: