Never tried a straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jaro, May 11, 2019.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Never had the first issue with a square tip. I really don't get why a round tip is so often recommended.

If you are serious about a SR, learn to hone them yourself. If not, get a Feather folding SS with the Pro Guard blades from Amazon.

Edison Carter and Paul76 like this.
  2. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I wanted to try out straights too, so I bought a cheap shavette from ebay at £3:99, It was utterly useless...I could easily have just stopped there the experience was so bad....but I read...and read...and watched videos...I then bought a Parker SRX which is a superb shaver...once you get it together with shavettes....next up was a Feather Artist Club DX....this blew the Parker out the water, fantastic shavette, I decided to stick with this...but as time wore on (about 8 weeks ) I thought I would like to try a proper straight and bought a couple of old dogs from ebay which shaved very nicely... It takes a wee bit longer to get the SR to shave to what you want...but 100% you will get there, it is just practice and getting good advice, I had a couple of razors I struggled with...but after getting fergiebilly to hone them...and some angle advice from him...things began to gather speed and shaves became better. The shavette is defo different from a SR, but personally I found it helpful coming from a shavette to a SR, wee things like holding the razor and feeling the weight etc all help...oh!..I have another shavette I forgot about...a stainless steel Dovo...another great razor that weighs nothing...it is soooo light, I now prefer light SR's and have 3 small 3/8th blades that I love. Keepyour eye on the selling page coz most likely all the shavettes will be up for sale if you are ibterested.

DaltonGang and Edison Carter like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nor have I. I actually learned with a square point. However I’ve seen and read enough on this forum (and others) where SR newbies have nicked their cheeks a number of times when learning to get comfortable holding & dragging a blade across their faces. A round point takes away some of the potential accidents while allowing one to get accustomed to the feel of the blade...so I’m more likely to recommend a round point to newcomers.

4. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

My first experience with a square point resulted in a pretty good nick on the earlobe. I had already been using a 5/8 round point for almost three months. I was focusing more on the heel of the blade. Now I prefer square point blade.

brit, Edison Carter and Chuck Naill like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

My favorite point is the barber's notch followed by square. I have a nice Geneva round point that is a good shaver. Perhaps if I had nicked my ear I would think differently. I am pretty intentional anytime I touch the blade to my face.

Paul76 and Edison Carter like this.