New Addiction...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shamrock, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I just recently began the journey into DE shaving, and now I wonder why it took me so long to find this therapeutic practice, and how I can make it even more enjoyable. Then I started reading the threads here, and Badger and Blade, and a few other forums, and I found that my quest for enjoyment is going to look a LOT like an addiction LOL. I am now watching eBay for items that will enhance not only my shaving, but also the collector in me; I love vintage things with historical relevance, and I can already see that this is going to become an obsession, but one that actually has value past just owning a piece of history. My first toe in the water at eBay produced this
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2 Complete Rolls, and a Merkur Solingen. Except for these forums, I wouldn't even know what I was looking at, and I appreciate the information that everyone is willing - even eager - to share.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good finds. Sorry about the addiction, but I know it will bring you pleasure.

Shamrock likes this.
  3. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

LOL, thanks, and it already is benefitting my enjoyment of life.

4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Well it happened to you fast! You're HOOKED! The same thing happened to me just as soon as I joined this forum. LOL
    Great finds!

Shamrock likes this.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

BTW, I'm intrigued about using that Solingen - a slant head adjustable sounds like a good learning experience...just gonna take it slow and light on the setting to begin.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I think it's the vintage aspect of this that really hooked me that quickly. I was born for an earlier time, LOL, and shaving this way is so relaxing. I love the idea of being able to use items that have that much history to them ... Most collectibles are just that - collectibles that are thrown on a shelf to be looked at; these vintage pieces are actually something that will benefit me on a daily basis.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Looks like you fell in the pool of Acquisition Disorders. Those are nice razors.

Shamrock likes this.
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks BigT and Bryan R...was extremely happy to get those, and yeah, I have succumbed to the Acquisition Disorder...and I feel fine. ;)

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nice collection! But consider yourself warned that we are a great big bunch of enablers. The odds that we will ever talk you out of buying some shave-related goodie are very low.

Shamrock likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! Enjoy.

Shamrock likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You sure that's a slant? I don't think they make adjustable slants. Looks like the Merkur Progress.
    But I've been wrong before.

As for using adjustables, here's my recommendation:

Shave 1 - set at 2, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 2 - set at 3, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 3 - set at 4, etc.
    Continue until you reach that one click that is just a tad too aggressive, back it down one, and there's your sweet spot.

Now some folks start with the first pass wild (wide open) then back it down a bit each pass after that. Some folks start mild then crank it up a bit for each following pass. NOTE: THESE FOLKS ARE EXPERIENCED AND HAVE COME TO KNOW THEIR RAZOR. The practice of adjusting during the shave is not recommended for those who are new to adjustable razors. Get to know how each setting shaves, then go to town.

Shamrock likes this.
  12. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

After looking at it again, you're right, it's not a slant. I had researched it before bidding on it, and saw that it was a Progress; not sure why, all of a sudden, I thought it was a slant...the only thing I can figure is that I'm bidding on a slant right now (yes, my name is Chris, and I have RAD), and I had slant on the brain. LOL

Thanks for the advice on the use of the Progress, I had planned on starting at a lower setting, and working my way up until I found it too aggressive, then backing it down, but I had planned to do it after each pass. I have rethought that strategy based on your advice, and will take a number of shaves to increase the aggressiveness.

Just another reason I love this forum. Thanks again

swarden43 likes this.
  13. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks Sara-s, and I know about enabling...I expect I'll be a BIG enabler here - I always am when I'm passionate about an addiction LOL ;)

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Some collect stamps, cars and guns. I collect DE razors!

Shamrock likes this.
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

LOL, well, I confess that I collect guns as well...this is a little less expensive per purchase, but I can see already that the same amount of money can be spent on multiple purchases.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.