New DE razor recommendations

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Paladin38201, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

I am currently using a Merkur 23C DE razor. What would be a second DE razor that you would recommend?

2. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

My first was a Jagger. For my next few, I went went vintage and actually bught a lot of 4 Gilettes, a Super Speed and three Techs. Then I bought a birth year razor, 1962 Slim. Now I'm waiting to hear more about the Rockwell to see if I want one or not, otherwise I'm done.

Read the reviews, do your research, and see what strikes your fancy.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd recommend a vintage Gillette adjustable. Fatboy, Slim, or Super adjustable, they all shave great. The black handled super adjustables are a bit cheaper to snag.

gorgo2, Tdmsu, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

In addition to the above named vintage Gillette Razors, I would consider a Gillette New Open Comb razor as well.

Dzia Dzia, Tdmsu, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Now that you have tried a modern 3 piece razor, why not try something different this time around? A nice vintage SE perhaps or an injector? An Everready 1924 "shovelhead" SE using Gem SS blades gives me a really nice shave.:)
    If you prefer to stay modern and want try an Open Comp, the Cadet OC I've found to be very comparable to the Gillette "NEW".

Joelio and Jim99 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd go with an iKon. Pick one.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This one ---> *click* ;)

8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Look around for one of the vintage Gillette Super Speeds. IMHO, still the best razors ever made.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh yeah, you convinced me of that! Ikon.

Paladin38201 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Most any year Gillette super speed would be a good choice. Gillette fatboys and slims are excellent too. I find it kind of cool using a 50+ year old razor that's in better shape than me.

Paladin38201 likes this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For New: ATT, Merkur 34 or 38c, EJ DE89 Extra Grip, Parker R98. Vintage: any of the Gillette Adjustables. Any razor you choose, first do your research.
    Ask yourself: Is the razor I'm using now giving me a great shave after I've learned proper technique and have found the right blade?
    Do I have a light, medium or heavy beard?
    How much do I want to spend?
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

All great suggestions but I haven't seen anyone recommend a slant. A Merkur or better yet an Ikon 102. Great razors

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

So OP, you can tell by the answers that just about any razor is recommended! It's a true story though. I started with the Merkur 23c also, and I still love using it today. I tried my hand at a few vintage Gillettes, then move onto a Cadet OC, a Weishi 9306, then moved into experimenting with GEM SE's. All through out I tried the random cheap Chinese razor too. My suggestion is to look around and find the one that catches your eye. That's the next razor you should buy.

Paladin38201 and Jim99 like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I couldn't have said it better. That's excellent advice!

15. shmuel

shmuel Member

I think a slant for a second razor is the best idea. The Merkur is the least expensive and is a comfortable, efficient performer. If you are in the minority who doesn't care for a slant, it is very easy to sell on the B/S/T forum.