New Deluxe Owners Group (NDOG)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 31, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's exactly like the Criterion pic in my post, no pins but no serial number.

kjbarth and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

1935 criterion.. 1935 Criterion DeLuxe.jpg

kjbarth and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

Exactly what I have with the exception of having "New Standard" stamped below the logo.

4. brit

brit in a box

wrong case unfortunately..they only sold the criterions in 1930 and 1935..as far as i know..christmas razors..could be wrong though..

5. jimjo1031

That was my first guess, either by an individual or maybe Gillette did it because of the same style case.

6. brit

brit in a box

possibly,if yours was a serial numbered 1930 maybe but being a 1935 model maybe not.someone had a nice standard case and put your razor in it?,or got theirs mixed up if they had both? the cases are the same,just one liner is marked standard..either way nice razors.you could find a nice standard/new improved without a case and have a home for it..the case in that shape is quite rare for it's age..

7. jimjo1031

Yeah, was thinking the same also, even if just the logo part was the only good thing about it. I can always swap them. But to be honest, I did re-line the bottom of my case.

8. jimjo1031

Sorry to ramble on, but probably be easier to replace the top liner with a new one, even if there won't be a new logo on it. And get a New Standard later on.

9. brit

brit in a box

either way .very easy task for yourself to accomplish..my 1930 set exterior case is a little beat up but the razor and interior are mint..rambling is good..:)

10. jimjo1031

Well, if it's like the above cases, and you want it done, no problem there. Those cases come apart in different sections and easy to work on. It'll just have a different grain pattern, unless I can find a good match.

11. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim .i'll keep it in mind..i use the razor often so it won't be mint for long.my brit version though is very mint ,so i am not so concerned..

12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

There are a few different models, but they are based on the plating, the case, and/or the plating thickness. These differences are identified in more detail in the old catalogs and ads.
    The NEW DeLuxe can easily be mistakened as a New Improved(New Standard, Bostonian, etc.), and visa-versa. Key identifiers are serial numbers or even the lack thereof. Locating pins will ALWAYS be a New Standard, and never a NEW, on the fixed guard razors(when looking at this “Art Deco” Type Razor.
    Serial numbers are also helpful in identifying the differences. I need to add some more stuff to the bottom of my Den page. I wish we could still have a couple of pages...

EDC, kjbarth and brit like this.
  13. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Thanks, @brit , for giving me the correct model ID on my new deluxe, and for pointing me to this thread.

My razor popped up in the wild, in this red and black case. There wasn’t a blade case, but a loose Super Blue Blade was helpfully rattling around in the blade case slot. No serial number on this razor.

1D7194D5-7989-430E-B3A4-1E68903DCFA5.jpeg

kjbarth, Rev579 and brit like this.
  14. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I’m liking this thread!

S Barnhardt likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

very cool,right at home here..:)..no blade cases came in these sets..

S Barnhardt likes this.
  16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Right, just a box of Blues, if anything. Some foolish folks have tried to jam a blade bank in the slot created for a “box of Blue Blades”

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I found out I have a New Deluxe. The box says something else. Of course, I could care less. I sure does provide a nice shave result. Not bad for a blade holder.

kjbarth likes this.
  18. Motonut

Motonut New Member

5A3A073C-EAE3-4B24-8ED8-798A45D2ED76.jpeg I haven't posted in this forum for a long while - pleased that I could still manage to log in.

Had to weigh-in when I noted this thread about what is my favorite razor out of the 25 ish razors I've managed to collect over the last several years.

This one was part of a lot of collectable razors I bought from a gentleman with a huge collection and a rough Craigslist ad that wasn't nearly as impressive as what he was sitting on.

After eventually visiting him in his town about 100 miles away (I was in town for a family wedding), I had no problem parting with about $12 for each of the several razors I brought home.:cool:

This low-time 1930-31 Chromium New Standard is almost like new with several Gillette Blues in the holder.

These razors feel great in my large hands and shave even better than they look, IMHO.

tonich, kjbarth, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I qualify for this thread too:

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  20. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Hello,

This razor a a NEW Deluxe. The set is "Criterion" rather than "New Standard".
    When Gillette USA switched to NEW generation from NI they came up with the Criterion set. However, in the first sets on the market they used "New Standard" leftover cases from NI era. This was very common in the early 30-es as no inventory went to waste with Gillette. The late Criterion cases were the same expet for the missing "New Standard" print.
    "Criterion set" was offered from Gillette USA, England and Canada

brit likes this.