New Designs and Restorations

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Nov 28, 2018.

  1. Enrico

    Enrico Popcorn

    I like to restore them with weight and then they feel amazing!

    :)
     
    jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    Hardwright Anchorset brush. Not sure about the knot, so this is just dry fitted..............

    IMG_20210607_200413_5.jpg IMG_20210608_124857_7 (1).jpg
     
  3. Jorvaljr

    Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

    that looks good! Maybe white synthetic? Higher loft? But i like it.
     
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    That was one I thought about using.
     
    Enrico likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    Barbershop Boar Brush....................
    IMG_20210616_175007_3.jpg IMG_20210613_124246_4.jpg
     
  6. brit

    brit in a box

  7. brit

    brit in a box

    jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. Enrico

    Enrico Popcorn

    jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    Thanks Keith.
     
  10. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    I have this brush that I really didn't care for because of the colors. I decided to change it, again, and add a decal. I put it together for @Yehuda D because he likes synthetics, and I have enough of them. The colors, red, white and blue, are the combined colors of the Israeli and Canadian flags. I also made a larger pic of the decal to line the inside of a pill bottle, with foam lining also. And of course some holes in the cap. And this is what I came up with..................

    3ef9e6b74573fa11d9c83303d1460759.jpg
    9e2079e7118263a41faf55356280ca8d.jpg
     
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  11. Douglas Carey

    Douglas Carey Wildman

    That is a great job Jim. I'm sure it will blow Jeff's mind.
     
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    Thanks Douglas.
     
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    A couple of Rubberset brushes that needed some attention. And of course I forgot to take pics before I removed the old knots................

    IMG_20211230_205131_2_2.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  14. AussieTanker

    AussieTanker New Member

    Gradually working my way thru this thread. There is some awesome work on display here.

    What type of paint do you guys use to restore or "fill in" the brand, model etc area where the paint has faded or is missing completely.

    And any tips or hints as to how to apply the paint.


    And is it possible to enlarge the hole that the knot goes into on a long handled rubberset brush such as the one shown above.

    I'm guessing not, as I think it's some sort of vulcanised rubber or plastic. It's currently a 24mm opening, which I think from other reading means that i should use a knot that is 2mm less than the opening ie 22mm. But I really would like to get the largest sized knot onto the brush that I can.

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
     
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

    jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

    Every so often when restoring a shave brush, something unexpected would happen. And then I would just stow them away, until I decided what to do with them. This is a short story of two of them. The first is a Rubberset B-15, which when I removed the knot, the handle base and ferrule fell apart. The part of the base that slips into the ferrule was in pieces. To fix this, I added some screws to the base, so I could add something to make the two parts of the handle stronger. After after enlarging the hole for the knot, I attached the ferrule using super glue gel, before adding more epoxy to join the halves together. The second one, a Made Rite #64 with butterscotch handle. This went south when I was nearly done removing the knot, and a decent sized chip came flying off when cleaning up the hole. Needless to say, I wasn't in a good mood and into the box it went, until today. I had to shorten it's height by about 3/16". Then I re-shaped the top and enlarged the hole for a larger knot. I didn't take a pic of that chip, I forgot. First two pics before restoring. Last pic of final products, but still want to polish them up more...................
    IMG_20220114_142303_2.jpg IMG_20211230_151853_7.jpg
    IMG_20220114_184231_9.jpg
     

Share This Page