New Designs and Restorations

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

The 8 Bit guy has found a wide assortment of methods .. the YouTube video below has a shoot out of the different methods.

AussieTanker, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Good job Jim! :happy096:[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

3. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

brit likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith, I like them too. Especially with the black top for added contrast.

brit likes this.
  5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Thank you! I’ll try it!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Nice!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Nice work guys.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Two re-knotted brushes. A Klenzo 1068 with a 24mm Tuxedo knot. And a Burma Shave with a 20mm Synthetic knot.

20190720_140733.jpg

TestDepth, 9nein9, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  9. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Looks great Jim!

10. jimjo1031

Thanks.

brit likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

Yesterday I received these brushes at a very good price, the seller accepted my offer..........
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

I've worked on three of them so far. The "Preferred" brush is ready for a 24mm knot, Tuxedo knot dry fitted for now. The Opal #5 I replaced with a similar boar knot at it's original height. And the brass one, which I really thought might've been peeling brass plate and corrosion, wasn't. It was dirty, and maybe some corrosion, but it cleaned and polished great. The boar knot, hardly seems used, if at all. It's not even broken in. The Surrey boar brush I shaved with today and really like it, it's a keeper..........
    20190808_161831.jpg

TestDepth, Enrico and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

brit likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You got a nice assortment of almost everything .... Preferred, Made Rite, Opal, brass, Surrey, Mohawk, and Solid Set. That Opal has got great color and the Solid Set and Preferred are harder to come by. Surrey's are great even restored with weight, though can be a pain to get some of the plastic plug out of the inside.

:signs107:

15. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith. I do like the Surrey, has a great feel to it. I like well broken in boar brushes, and this is just about there. I did a search on Ebay for Preferred brushes just to see, and there aren't any. Someone carved their initials real deep onto the bottom of the Solid Set and I had to remove it, it was warped. I'm thinking, and hoping, that I can remove some of the plaster inside and fill it in with epoxy for a stable bottom. The second one is a Rex, and next to last is a Mohawk (Canada).

brit likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had a Stag just like your Rex (both were made for the Rexal drugstore and look very much like the Made Rite. :happy088:

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Something I put together from a damaged handle, a Made Rite I believe. I opened it up to accept this 27mm Boar Knot. I have this same knot on my JR #112. And after a bunch of shaves, and almost completely broken it, it's really becoming a great brush.

20190901_011436.jpg

brit and Enrico like this.
  18. jimjo1031

OK, I got sick of the color and changed it. I went with African Violet instead.............
    20190902_003054.jpg

Enrico and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

the beauty of home built handles..if you get bored ,refinish it..looks good sir..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

Well, posting another re-done brush in a couple of minutes.

brit likes this.