New Designs and Restorations

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Nov 28, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

My first re-knot was a ceramic handle. Knot removal was zero risk.

This Solid Set is in great shape, barely used, probably because the knot quality was abysmal. Fine nylon (?) surrounded by a thin hedge of (possibly fake) badger. I had absolutely no qualms about throwing out a vintage knot in this case.

Rather than gripping the handle in my vise, I wrapped the knot in painters tape and put the knot in the vise. My cutting tool was a used Gem PTFE blade. The tape held the hair together for disposal - no mess.

A few cheapie wood carving chisels made short, easy work of removing the stump. I dremeled the inside of the cavity with a 'large' dremel sanding drum on the lowest speed, removing most of the adhesive residue. I did not have any excess wall thickness to play with, so some residue remains.

The available cavity diameter was about 20mm, a little wider at the bottom.

My knot inventory included:
    First choice - 20mm two band badger, glue bump too big to fit.
    Second try - 20mm black badger, could work, a little tight. But I recently lofted a twin knot into one of my custom handles.
    Third shot - 18mm boar, great fit, nice look, and when shaving I reach for my boars first. Which means I have a lot of boars. But this is the predestined knot. Lofted at 48mm without any drilling, which will be fine.
    C68DFBD4-D391-4B2D-AA41-F7A78227DC58.jpeg

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is a Strong Set brush needing a make over. As you can see from the second brush, my youngest pup got a hold of it. So it became a donor for the Strong Set brush. I originally was going to sand down the finish and re-do it, but the varnish was really tough. So I sanded the handle and carefully feathered the edges of the varnish and painted it Tuscan Red and added white paint to the letters...............

IMG_20200814_225233.jpg IMG_20200824_133242.jpg

4. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..i can see the chewable appeal..:)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Nice restore! Strong Set / Solid Set - red, black, and boar. We have a couple brothers by another mother.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Yeah, it wasn't her first either.

Enrico and brit like this.
  7. jimjo1031

Thank you.

8. brit

brit in a box

:(

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Nice color combo and great save!

:eatdrink013:

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith.

brit likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

A while back this Lord Chesterfield brush was included in a lot and I really liked the looks of it. Of course it needed work, and I removed this two band badger knot from a Frank Shaving brush. The metal ferrule of the brush had to be enlarged, which was what I was going to do because of the big crack at the opening. The second pic after I enlarged the hole and cut down the threaded rod beneath the knot. I had to be careful not to make the hole too big as I needed to make the metal ferrule on the knot fit as close as possible to the newly enlarged hole. The last two pics showing the final result................

IMG_20200903_012408.jpg IMG_20200903_015321.jpg
    IMG_20200903_022517.jpg IMG_20200903_063059.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. brit

brit in a box

awesome brush Jim,nicely done..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary.

brit likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: That looks really sharp!

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  15. jimjo1031

Thank you Keith.

brit likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

One of the items I got from @Enrico is this travel boar brush with travel tin. It had two large cracks on each side, running down it's length. The knot was fine and normally I probably would've just filled them in and repaint it. This time though, I decided to fill them in without repainting the brush. I used epoxy with a drop of white paint for the white area and J B Weld for the top black area. There are numerous shades of white, so I knew it wouldn't be an exact match. And the J-B Weld when sanded will actually be a dark grey. After everything cured, which can take hours instead of minutes with paint mixed in with the epoxy, I sanded the handle smooth and gave it a quick polish............
    IMG_20200916_013717.jpg IMG_20200917_173748.jpg
    IMG_20200918_160123.jpg

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Look good to go!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith.

19. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim.nice job..:cool:i have a culmac travel brush that came in my late 40s brit travel set.it needs a bit of tlc..may try to rejuvenate it..:)

Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary. Not hard to do.

brit likes this.