New forum software

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, May 2, 2011.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I know, I know...

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Curse you all!
    Seriously, darn you all to heck!!

Going and making me log back in over there just to see what all the hubbub is about like that, just wrong! :happy102

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator

Doing my best ;)

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Alrighty, friendly reminder; Not the place to rag on other forums.

5. sol92258

Sparky rocks!
    QoB rocks!

6. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

It makes no sense to me when an "improvement" completely derails the way one is used to doing things. I go to these forums to relax, not get worked up. I ended up narrowing my focus down to one forum, developed some relationships and that's pretty much why I settled there.

I know a lot of the same people from B&B are here as well, I just don't have time to keep up with posts in two forums.

7. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Please allow me to vent just a little. At least it should serve as a warning to how your own future upgrade could come undone.

I am a long time member of B&B and am not trying to trash them. I really like the place. I'm just trying to blow off a little steam and I'm sorry for making a noisy entry after a long absence.

There, I'm feeling better already.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Dennis, I hope the rest of your day is going well. It will get better.

9. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Thanks, I think maybe I'll go lather up some Cella and chill out.

10. Queen of Blades

How so? I don't know what the complaint is. :confused:

And we aren't upgrading. We are changing.

11. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Good move. I can't explain all the problems as there are hundreds of posts already over there in an Upgrade Comment thread. It would be far easier just to go there and see the frustration.

I'm sure things will get worked out, but in the meantime it is rather frustrating. I will definitely be watching for your upgrade to see how well it works.

12. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    In a nutshell, the company that owns vbulletin was sold. The new owners came to an impasse with their developers, and the majority of them left.

Those former vbulletin developers created their own new forum software, called Xenforo, which is what we are in the process of moving to.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. I have experience this in other arenas of business and these situations can be nasty for those who rely upon the original company and sometimes even for those in the new company.

Change is a part of life and it is something I remind people of everyday that you can be mad over change, but get it out of your system as soon as you can. Then you can deal with it easier and make necessary adjustments.

Again, good fortune on the migration.

14. sol92258

kinda like diapers, and for the same reason?

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There will always be bugs to work out and I wasn't speaking on the bugs that have arisen over there from their upgrade. Just been so used to using dark skins, as I do here, and when I went there, it was BAM! SUPER UBER BRIGHT BLIND YOU! :cool: Didn't mean to start all of this... Guess I should have just said I hope the new TSD has a dark skin and not even mentioned across the street...

16. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Understand what everyone is saying now, but being too bright is the least of the problem.

I think what they're saying is, if you're upgrading/changing make sure its an actual upgrade/change for usage and not a step back.

17. Queen of Blades

Not sure exactly what you mean, but.......

All the vBulletin forums need to either upgrade or change soon. There is no other choice, as the old version stops being supported and/or stops working.

We don't know what the future holds for our change, but we like the functionality of our forum just as much as the members do, if not more. Changes are inevitable, unfortunately.

18. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its hard to say exactly what I want to say without actually saying it lol.

I'm understanding the need for change and reasoning, I'm hoping this software we are going to change to is better.

phew that was hard. :happy102

19. Queen of Blades

It's going to be different. That is going to be the hardest part.

We feel the new software is better, or we wouldn't even be attempting a change. But regardless, there will be some people who won't be happy.

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Definitely agree with the Queen on that. The new software TSD is changing to is really nice and gives a lot of functions necessary for a forum in 2011 rather than 2008. It'll be different but easy to navigate and learn. Patience. I'm not averse to change, I'm averse to ugly and that's all I'm going to say any further about the other place.