New forum software

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, May 2, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

Any ETA on the change over yet?

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hopefully soon. I am looking forward to a change. I hope it goes smoothy but the change should be nice.

Looking forward to the change guys and gals. :D

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

except from vending machines?

need an icepack? :rofl

I'm not happy about it..............oh wait, it ain't here yet....nevermind!
    :rolleyes:

a most prudent decision :cool:

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

It works for me.

5. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I understand, and feel your pain, but these forums have to stay up to date and the people who run them probably aren't presented with a choice to keep everything cosmetically the same. I go through it every day trying to restore functionality to users after their computer conked out and I had to replace their Windows XP machine with a Windows 7 machine. You can't get Windows XP any more and pretty soon needed software will come out that will only work on Windows 7. In fact I took this week off just to come down from the stress of doing this the past five months. I know the people who run these shaving forums are going through some trying times and hoping the members will understand and accept the change.

But you're spot on in saying that there's going to be an adjustment period.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I look forward to change and expect there will be a learning curve as we adapt to a new forum software system. But although -- as we al know -- newer is not be definition better -- software revisions and changes are often for the better and in this case I think Sparky & team are making a smart decision.

And if I can be of any help -- configurations or hosting space, CPU cyclesw, & bandwidth -- I do have some rack servers with spare cycles that I can offer for support.

Let us know if there is a beta to test out as you get the new system up to speed.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Only sparky knows for sure, but I don't think there is an ETA yet. Lots of little ducks to get in their proper rows first.

8. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Sparky, we appreciate everything that you do and especially your committment to try new improvements even though it will mean countless hours and challenges to work through. A lot of this goes right over my head but it will be a nice learning curve as you make the changes. If you need any "dumb immigrant questions", I will be glad to help in the problem solving process. Doug

9. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I just found this Youtube tutorial that dumbed down the tapatalk so that I could understand the basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKf9KrBUJdk
    It may help others like me.:happy088

10. sol92258

Yay! We're running on ducks!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Can the ducks ensure supply versus our demands?

Hmm...If we could only find a duck...

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Demand?? :scared003
    It's far safer to attempt to persuade these ducks. Rather than to demand.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It simple economics supply = demands.

Maybe they need the proper feed to maintain balance?

[​IMG]

To be powered by ducks, one must empower the ducks!

14. sol92258

Indeed; if one was to get on the bad side of the Queen of Ducks, that one may need that insurance company's help, that one does something if something or other is something?
    Yeah, can't think of it....

Uhhhh....that's kinda - on the brilliant, quotable side....srsly

15. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Thanks for the input. I've just decided to lay low for a while. I'm sure they will work the bugs out eventually. I'm just frustrated, not angry with anyone in particular.

16. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The largest issue is security. The older software becomes, the more likely it is to become hacked.

As far as graphics, all the forum software out there will allow you to custom code your graphics to almost anything that one's programming ability can allow.

Update on our Upgrade:
    I really am convinced you guys will be happy with xenforo when we switch over. The "user experience" just feels much better to me, and since it's written by the guys that made this version of vbulletin, it's gonna feel familiar. I've already got the core of the new board up and running, and i'm working out the graphics as we speak. Graphics are by far the most time consuming step. I wanna update our look a bit, but I want to be sure it still feels like TSD.

17. sol92258

:happy108:happy108:happy108

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:sihns011 and then some :D

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Sounds good!

20. NoahG

NoahG Member

No matter the look, no matter the software, it's the people who make this place great. But I also know that all of you who work behind the scenes here strive to make everything smooth so we can have a great place to hang out. So, thank you all.