New forum software

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, May 2, 2011.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Harder for the admin and mods to set up and run? Seeing as how the vBulletin "upgrade" has closed Badger & Blade, at least for the time being, I doubt XenForo is the the hardest alternative. Harder for the rank and file? The XenForo Community forum doesn't look any different than most other forum software - a board subdivided into forums, which are further subdivided into threads. IMHO the XenForo Community is an improved take on the current standard forum look and feel. If that is what we have to look forward to, then different seems pretty darned good.

If you have to change, it might as well be to something even better than to something problematic and annoying. Nobody can fault you for using common sense. Some people do not like change ever, even if it is for the better. C'est la vie.

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    — Abraham Lincoln

2. Hex

Hex Member

I was just over at XenForo and it's very fast and easy to use. Additionally, it was able to do something that the other site couldn't do (it could but clumsily) with a search. Namely, one constructed like this "Somerset Chubby".

How it handles the internal e-mail is important and I will just have to bide my time until it goes live but I am optimistic.

All in all, it looks encouraging.

3. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Good morning Sparky; I saw that you were online this morning and wanted to congratulate for the great job you have done with the implementation. "Others" are having major disruptions while you have managed a very smooth transition. doug:happy096

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator

Thanks doug, but I haven't done it yet. :ashamed001

Again, I really don't expect any major problems. Essentially i'm creating a new board (with all the information from here), and switching things over when I feel it's ready. In the meantime, all is well here.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I just can't say enough good things about xenforo. I can't wait until you guys see what the new forum will look like. Much like our current software, "the look" is highly customizable. The graphics are coming along very nicely, and are at this point even better than I had imagined.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The anticipation for this is getting almost as exciting as waiting for the next SOTQ to come out :D

7. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

It is very true that the people make any forum what it is. However, if the interface is difficult to use those people will become disconnected and many of them will either give up or move elsewhere.

As much as I like this place, I hope B&B is back up soon, I don't want to see it unravel.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is good. It sounds like the ducks are being well fed! :cool:

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I reeeaaallllyyyy hope there's a self destruct button :D

10. NoahG

NoahG Member

I want an ejector seat.

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Now your talking.

Will we have the option for some color changes as well? Or is that more of a decision for down the line type of thing?

I am really looking forward to this forum having a bit of a face lift.