New guy

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by ezrasdad, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ezrasdad

ezrasdad Member

Hey gents. I'm just a couple of weeks into wet shaving. Here is my kit:

[​IMG]

I just ordered TOBS Rose & an Alum block. (Hoping to close a deal on another site for a '61 flair tip, & a better brush.)

I'm thoroughly in love with wet shaving and I hope to become a regular around here!

Cheers!

Omelmad, crackstar, Bobcat and 4 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

ezrasdad likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

ezrasdad likes this.
  4. ezrasdad

ezrasdad Member

Very solid advice. I am rather impulsive as you can tell by multiple soaps with more pending. The Merkur in the pic is actually my second razor. I started with a prewar Tech.

I've actually taken to wet shaving rather well. I've yet to nick myself. I think that has to do with my skin more so than my technique.

Thanks for the warm welcome and valued advice. I probably should normalize my routine a bit and calm down with the impulse buys.

Badger-Face and GDCarrington like this.
  5. swarden43

Why? I certainly hope you didn't come around here thinking we were going to help you curb your appetite for shave gear! :signs136:

macaronus, BigT, Omelmad and 3 others like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "ezrasdad"........I hope you enjoy it here....:)

Stop impulse buying, too many soaps,only on your second razor,with your third razor and another brush coming!?!?!?:confused:
    Your doing fine just the way your going, "VERY" normal from my perspective..:happy088: What do you want to do make the rest of us addicts uhhhhhhh hobbiests look bad....;)

BigMark, burnout961 and ezrasdad like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs046: To TSD! Glad you found us! Here you'll meet a great group of folks! That's a nice setup you have. Happy Shaving.

ezrasdad likes this.
  8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Some very nice kit you have there for only being in for a couple of weeks! :happy088:

ezrasdad likes this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome!!

ezrasdad likes this.
  10. ezrasdad

ezrasdad Member

[​IMG]

The deal closed on the latest addition. '61 flare tip and whipped dog silver tip.

Okay, I'll stop for 30 days now.

11. swarden43

Suuuuuuure you will. :p
    Keep hangin' 'round here and you won't.

12. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

I am just like you. It's really hRd not to go out and buy every single thing. Oh I need this, I I have to have this but I want lol. It's all fun though. You have a good start there. Good luck and welcome. I'm still a newbie too. This is defiantly the place to be here at the den.

ezrasdad likes this.
  13. ezrasdad

ezrasdad Member

Do you guys think the super speed will be more, less or as aggressive as my Merkur 1904?

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    tsd_welcome.png Glad to have you, ezrasdad. Enjoy your stay.

ezrasdad likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never tried the Merkur 1904..Is it comparable to the Gillette Fat Handle tech? I've found my Flair Tip SuperSpeeds mild, but not as smooth as my 3 piece tech in most instances...:)

16. ezrasdad

ezrasdad Member

I'd say they're pretty comparable. It's a bit heavier than a tech but the handle is a bit dainty.

17. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Welcome Ezrasdad!

ezrasdad likes this.
  18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome! Looks like you've got a good start there.

ezrasdad likes this.
  20. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!!!

ezrasdad likes this.