New Guy

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by gott654, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi nice to meet you!

5. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Welconme to TSD, a great place to share knowledge and learn.

Regards,
    Chris

6. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

7. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

Hi and welcome!

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

welcome to the den!

9. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Welcome, boss.

Any fan of VDH is welcome. VDH is my go-to shaving soap and I've tried $30+ soaps. Nothing compares for me.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've lathered it both ways also, but I mainly bowl lather. I chop/grate a stick and them mash it into a small Ziploc bowl for storage and to load from. Arko does perform well either way for me also, I just like bowl lathering. :)

11. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den! I had a slight problem with bums and ingrown....the great folks here turned me onto tend skin and better technique. Problem solved for me. The tend skin is a wonder liquid IMHO. Also they pointed me to an alum block...it really helped show me where my technique was week and needed help.

12. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

I'll have to look into it. Had an issue but now seems to be resolved. I'm betting it was pressure on the razor. Being a little better about cleaning gear seemed to help too. I've been kind of curious about alum but not sure what to get. What do you use?

13. gott654

I do the same thing. Didn't like the stick to face. I wonder if the hard soap in the bowl is similar. Seems like it would save from mashing em lol.

14. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I found 2 blocks of osma on Amazon for $11. They will probably last me a lifetime. I chose that one because of the reviews, what folks said here and that it was solid block form. I found some a slightly bit cheaper but figured for the extra 2 or 3 bucks, might as well get what people said was a good product. Very pleased with it. It went from my face burning everywhere I rubbed it to a nice cool feel almost everywhere on my face. It definitely helped my find the places I needed to improve on technique. Still have a bit to go, but I'm really glad I listen to everyone here and purchased it.

15. gott654

Next time I order I'll pick some up. I'm willing to bet I can get tendskin from Amazon too

16. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I believe so, I found a bottle at my local Walgreen's ....I think it was $16. But a little goes a long way. I'll probably have that bottle for a year or so since I'm not having as much of a problem now that I'm getting a better technique. But I'll always have a bottle on hand from now on.

17. gott654

VDH is definitely is good in my book. Doesn't break the bank, works good, and unlike most inexpensive soaps smells good

178-bplatoon and Justin Linker like this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used both the stick and bowl. They lather the same IMO, so while the bowl is a bit less work, at first, it costs more and I found opening the bowl for every shave a real PIA compared to a Ziploc container.
    You can get 2 sticks(70 grams each) for $5.15, or one bowl(90 grams) for $5.25 from amazon. About a year ago I got the 12 sticks plus 3 free from amazon, if you bring the order to $35 with some blades or something else there is no shipping charge. I have no worries about shave soap for the foreseeable future.:happy088:

19. gott654

Used it again today and yet another great shave. I'm thinking a 12 pack is in my near future

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver