NEW handle options

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I question whether the Razorock handles will fit a NEW. I have their Barber Pole handle and the top of the neck is too wide to fit in the recessed portion of the bottom plate.

ajc347 and RyX like this.
  2. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

That’s interesting and I presume that it may well be a peculiarly of the Barber Hole Handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The four Razorock handles I have fit. The first three fit easily without a problem whilst the stainless Halo handle is a tighter fit.

I’ve added picture of a NEW head on a Yaqi handle as well below.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, MntnMan62, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Thanks Doug. Actually very heavy.

Herm

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The New SC and LC have different fitment. As I noted above not all the handles which fit my LC fit the SC

brit, MntnMan62 and ajc347 like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Worse, the LC has different fitments, depending on the version. The original version (no patent numbers) has a narrow spacing. The "reissue patent" LC has a wider spacing to accommodate the Common Bar handle. The LC I received in a PIF is an original version which was milled at some point to take the bigger handle.

Depending on the handle, it might be possible to fit a small nylon washer into the space and screw the handle down onto that.

RyX, ajc347 and jmudrick like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i haven t seen a SC with the bigger handle cut out area so far...

ajc347 likes this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

I have two SC baseplates and it turns our that one will take the bigger handle and the other won't. No signs of any modifications on the second one, just a different revision at the factory.

I'll have to get them together in the same room and take a comparison photo.

RyX, ajc347, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Another shave with the newly weighted Common Bar handle on my NEW short comb. It felt good and the extra weight was nice. No issues with how it felt in my hand. What I am finding however is the NEW bites. Much more than any of my Old Types. numerous nicks/weepers both times I shaved with it before and after adding the weight. I'm going to try a different blade and see if I get a different result.

RyX and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

thats cool. i have one each of the LC. the 1930 federal set set has no serial #,ball end handle and small cut out.the later one has serial # and a larger cut out.

10. John Ruschmeyer

I finally got both plates together. The top one has the narrow cutout and the bottom one has the wider cutout.
    IMG_1167.jpg

RyX, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

looks like the lower one with the larger cut out has an extra patent #. probably for that upgrade... cool.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nah, it's an old patent having to do with channel of the guard over which adjustments of the blade take place, presuming for the New Improved. No idea why it now appears.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    brit, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

fair enough...