New Method Shaving Video

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by mantic, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I've just released my 2nd introductory video for Method shaving, this one on building the "Mix," here.

--Mark

Badger-Face likes this.
  2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

OK Mark....
    Let's break it down.
    The whole Method Shaving system seems very complex and time-consuming to me......

Did / Do you get better shaves while using Method Shaving practices ?

3. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I won't launch into the whole detail here on Mark's thread...

It's not as regimented and complicated as most people think it is. I personally think straight razor shaving is much more time consuming. Even those who DE shave spend a considerable amount of time with passes/relathering that isn't any faster than using the method cutting forms.

As for the quality of shave, this is the reason that I have stuck with as part of my rotation. I do use soaps and creams as well, but method probably accounts for 70% of my shaves.

4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

To borrow a famous quote from a former president, it depends on what you mean by "better" :rofl .

In terms of "getting that BBS shave" I would say that MS gives me shaves that are equally close to traditional shaving. However, MS shaving is more easily "repeatable" and "consistant." A person who's been DE shaving for some time will get less value out of the shaving forms than someone new to the idea.

Method shaving is definitely better in terms of skin conditioning (IMO). If you've got skin or complexion problems you will notice a difference very quickly. Think of building "Mix" like you're making homemade mayonaisse (sp?). Yes it takes time to put everything together but the end result won't have any of the artificial stablizers or preservatives that store-bought mayo has (and it'll probably taste better, to boot).

--Mark

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice video. Please, do you have links for the three products you were using so I can research them?

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Oh man plenty work to do all that, to me its just all well lets keep it neat here.
    useless Prime a brush ? Each time you went priming it and then throw the cube back into the water hurt me..arent you waisting lots of good olive soap into that water meaning wont the cube melt like crazy ????

and then activator ? A lot of lather in the end....and spill of product.

Well if it works for you great, to me Superlather is enough to get me BeyondBBS so I wont play with those method shaving products .....Superlather is addictive and everyone can build it regarldess of what brush well almost.

Good show Mark even though I dont like the product or the way it is used rather ,good info for all out there... :signs107

7. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Rene--

Its not as bad as it looked. I did all three brushes in one video shoot, so by the time I was finished it looked pretty bad I admit. But if you only use one brush its not as messy as it looked--in fact you can use the "slag" from your hand later in the shave (that will be the next video). The cube is a very hard soap so it doesn't wash down very fast at all.

--Mark

8. mantic

mantic U TOOB

enchanteonline.com

--Mark

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Mark, great job as usual, man.

10. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I can't believe how much I learn from these videos... What you do for shavers, both new and old has never been done before to the best of my knowledge, and I don't see anyone ever doing a better job.. These are truly amazing Mark, you are a godsend to us all. Thank you!

Now, I have a question.. what is the purpose of adding the oil.. to me oil reduces lather but offers more protection, but I thought the best way to add it would be directly onto your skin, where it can protect the best, and not into the lather, where it might reduce your lather. Other than that, is this similar to the superlather that some other folks talk about, mixing the soap and the shave paste?

Thanks again!

11. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Sue-- I assumed it was an emulsifying aid, but to be sure I asked Charles Roberts. Here's his (edited by me) reply:
    So I guess I was right :o

--Mark

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Interestingly, the Activator itself is really not oily at all. It's very watery in consistancy. Not sure what all is in it but it certainly does make a difference when you build a lather with it. I've even experminted with putting some in the brush and lathering up your Bay Rum soap and the results were great.

Maybe if I add some cream in I can have Super Duper Lather! :D

13. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Mama Bear, I tried mixing oil in with my lather instead of putting it on my face. I thought it worked much better this way. With the brush I swear that I was basically scrubbing the oil off of my face before it had a chance to do me any good. With the oil in the lather it made my lather much thicker and heavier.(super slick as well) I really enjoyed the feeling of it on my face. It was much heavier than normal lather.