New razor suggestions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob79, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW you should try a Gillette Red Tip Flare sometime ...... more aggression and a wonderful shave.

:eatdrink013:

Angelo85 likes this.
  2. Rob79

Rob79 Member

It does...doesn't it. I just don't know the difference with that or the game changer

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Make it easy ....... get both. :D

I say that, but I wouldn't. :sad027:

4. Rob79

Rob79 Member

Haha! My main issue is I always have tugging and pulling. I tried different techniques and a few different blades and soaps. Maybe I need something more aggressive? I don't really know

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The Red Tip Flare can be gotten for $25 or less in nice condition and are a nice shaving razor with a bit more on the aggression. They have a nice weight to them as well.

6. Rob79

Rob79 Member

Gonna go check that out now. Thanks

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sharks aren't one of my favorite blades but lots of guys do like them. Astras are also not one of my favorites but they feel a little sharper than Sharks to me so if the Sharks feel a bit tuggy to you, Astras might feel better. I'd get a sampler pack with a good variety of blades and just start trying different ones. You will very likely find something that works better for you than what you're using now.

I'm not sure what soaps/creams you're using but soaps make a huge difference for me. Some soaps never give me a completely irritation free shave. Really good ones almost always do, regardless of the razor/blade I use.

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  8. Rob79

Rob79 Member

Gonna try out the Astra when they come in. The soap I've been using i don't like. Its the omega. I have razorock mudder focker coming in also. So we will see

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

From the hip
    If your tugging and pulling,
    Definitely could be blade, but a more aggressive razor may take tugging and pulling to bleeding and wincing.
    Start with better prep, shave after a hot shower. Then use a hot washcloth. Really get your beard as soft as possible. The MF will be slicker, and that’s a good thing.
    All blades are sharp, good blades last a bit longer. But even sharks should last a shave.
    As a guide, if your face is still too prickly, your technique is lacking and your razor to mild (for you)(AS you get better so will your closeness with the milder razor)
    If your tugging and pulling, but are close and comfy after your done. I’d say prep and soap are at fault
    If your feeling like your going over the same area repeatedly to get close, then a more aggressive razor may help.
    At the end of the day, riding the edge of the blade requires a soft touch. Without that touch a more aggressive razor will only make you bleed more.
    I’d be inclined to advise toward a progress. It’s adjustable and surely you’ll be able to find your sweet spot.
    Good luck, Try the prep, and remove all loud distractions(water running, loud fans), listening to the blade, then change one variable at a time. You’ll get there.

wristwatchb, jluc and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Rob79

Rob79 Member

Alot of helpful info! Thanks so much. Trying the new soap and razor blades. I'm also ordering a new razor. I'm between the mamba and game changer .84. Just don't know yet

11. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

It seems you have your mind made up to get a new razor. I won’t try to talk you out of it, if that’s what you want. But, don’t expect the shaves to be any better with another razor than the DE89. A razor does nothing more than clamp a blade in place, allowing you to shave with it. I get the same results with all of my razors, provided I do my job adequately. I have a razor from the Dollar Tree that gives me the same quality of shave as my Charcoal Goods razor. And there are a number of razors in between, that also do the same thing. Every one of them allows a blade to cut hair at skin level. Same holds true with single edge razors, and even a Parker SRX shavette. It’s all technique.

Don’t even get me started on blades. Most blades, especially the well known brands, will shave just fine. Some last a little longer than others. There isn’t nearly as much difference in blades as some folks make it out to be. The Sharks are fine, but they don’t last as long as something like an Astra SP or Gillette Silver Blue. Hang around shaving forums long enough and you’ll see phrases all the time such as “my beard is dense and coarse and that’s what I NEED Feather blades and a Muhle R41”. Bullcrap. When I see posts by folks saying things similar to that, what I really read is “I need to show that I’m a manly man and/or I need to justify buying a new razor with cool factor”.

If you gave a golfing hack such as myself the absolute best custom set of golf clubs, I’d still suck just as bad as if using an off the shelf set from Dunhams. A professional golfer would be able to use an off the shelf set of clubs and still have the same great numbers on their scorecard. Again, technique. How did they get so good? By constantly practicing their skills and technique. The same drills over and over and over. Certainly not by changing their clubs out every time their game suffered.

Using the EXACT same setup for 30 days takes away variables and lets you concentrate on your technique. Once you have that down pat, you should be able to pick up any razor and get a good shave with it. The guys who suggested joining the 30 Day Crew…consider taking them up on it. There’s a wealth of knowledge in that thread. And, they’re some of the nicest guys you’ll ever encounter on any forum.

I’m fortunate that I learned early on that equipment matters very little. Never once did I blame a razor, blade, soap, etc. for a bad shave. For the bad shaves, I had nobody to blame but the guy in the mirror. For the good shaves, I could smile back at the guy in the mirror. The bottom line is this - it’s just shaving. Nothing more than removing hair from the face. My facial hair might be slightly different than someone else, but it’s the same principle, and the same technique. Angle and pressure. Don’t fall into overcomplicating it. Keep it fun, keep it simple. Enjoy your shaves!

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well-said, Bruce.

FaceScraper and Edison Carter like this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great post, Bruce.
    Good to see you!

FaceScraper and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Rob79

Rob79 Member

Alot of information here. Thanks so much! I actually ordered 2 razors. I shaved with a Gillett knack last night and had a very different shave. Alot closer and more comfortable. I used the same soap and blades but a better outcome with the gillette. Maybe a coincidence. Again, thanks so much for the helpful info

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

NEW SC if you can find one. Can be replated if needed. zz.JPG

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What was the other razor you ordered?

Also, FYI, the vast majority of Gillette twist-to-open razors shave pretty much the same. Some are adjustable, a few are milder, a few are more aggressive, some have longer handles, some shorter.

Basically, they perfected the "ideal" head design (for the widest variety of customers) right before WWII, and then spent the next 50 years trying to get every possible shaver in the world to buy them.

Edit: probably not "coincidence." A new to you razor probably meant that you really focused on what you were doing, and doing that usually results in a good shave. In about six months, it will all be muscle memory, and you'll be getting good shaves with your brain shut down and on autopilot.

Edison Carter likes this.
  17. Rob79

Rob79 Member

The Gillette knack I had laying around. I ordered a mamba 70 and a mentor

Edison Carter, Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. FaceScraper

Thanks you fellas! Always great to see you both as well! I miss hanging out with "the gang" in the 30DC!

jluc and Primotenore like this.
  19. FaceScraper

Thanks! Sorry I got a bit carried away and got wordy. Sometimes when I see someone new to the hobby I can't help myself but try to get them to avoid the pitfalls of jumping from razor to razor, and blade to blade thinking it's going to be the magic bullet. You and you alone are the one who makes or breaks the shave. Technique is king! :)

Edison Carter, Primotenore and jluc like this.
  20. DrRonP

DrRonP New Member

I’ve never used the Mamba, but I love the whole Game Changer line up of plates. My favorite is .84 SB. Efficient enough and so smooth! Great fit and finish in stainless steel for low cost. I DO NOT LIKE shark either. I really like Astra blades but will also put a Feather or Gillette Premium in the razor.