New razor suggestions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob79, Apr 20, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

well said Bruce.as a mechanic i love snap on tools,but can perform a good job with craftsman ..technique is key..:).a teen in 1956 gets a new tech..and so on..

FaceScraper likes this.
  2. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

I may have poor technique but I also think my issues with irritation are largely due to my sensitive skin...particularly my neck/throat area. If I shave daily I take a beating. However, if I only shave weekly before church my shave is easy and comfortable...no irritation at all. I probably need to correct my technique if I'm going to shave more frequently.

I used Gillette Silver Blues for a long time and found them to be better for me than anything else available at my local shop. Then he was unable to get them anymore and I switched to Rapira which were pretty good but not as comfortable or long lasting.

I'm seeing GSB blades for sale again online and I'm wondering if they are the same as before. I thought the ones I used in the past were made in Egypt. Now they are made in Russia.

Edison Carter and FaceScraper like this.
  3. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

As someone who used carts for 30+ years, I struggled for awhile getting irritation-free shaves with a DE razor. You have to un-learn the habit of using pressure, and letting the razor do all the work. Technique really is everything the it comes to using a single blade razor. The other habit many of us fall into is trying to get a perfect BBS shave each and every time. The desire to "chase the baby" as it's called is something most of us strive for. However, over-shaving can lead to nicks and irritation. Every time a blade passes over the skin is another opportunity for it to irritate the skin. For most of us, it's that 3rd pass, against the grain, that's most likely to cause problems. In addition, avoid going over the same spot, even in the same direction, once the lather is gone. One can argue that the residual slickness provided by many soaps can let you get away with it, it's still not advisable. Especially if you're experiencing irritation.

There are a number of things you can try, along with working on technique. You could try one-pass shaves, or keep it at two-passes max. Avoid going against the grain (ATG) and see if that helps. Most folks can squeak out a very, very good shave in only two passes. Nobody else is going to notice if your face isn't smooth as a seal. They will notice a nice case of inflamed skin though. My Adam's Apple is my nemesis. The hair grows in awkward angles there. More often than not, if there's going to be a problem, that's where it'll be. I've shaved way too close to the blood there too many times. Now, most days, I get it "close enough for government work" and leave well enough alone.

Or, you can also limit the number of days you shave for awhile. If you aren't required to be clean-shaven for work, shoot for every other, or even every three days and see how that works. I really believe once your technique starts to get dialed in, you'll be able to get comfortable daily shaves - even with sensitive skin.

Try sticking with the EXACT same setup for (at least) 30 days. Same razor. Same brand/type of blade. Same soap. Same brush. By doing so, you can concentrate on technique by eliminating variables. Maybe a little boring, yet exceptionally helpful. Shave only when you aren't going to be rushed. Just take your time and concentrate. Enjoy the shave.

Skin stretching is also very helpful. Give that razor a nice flat surface to glide across. You don't have to get all medieval on it and pull your skin off. Just enough to tighten and flatten.

There are just a few small ideas to try. If you can, join the gang over at the 30 Day Rule/Focus Group. Introduce yourself and ask questions. Post your shaves and results. It's the nicest group of folks you'll ever find on a forum. They'll be more than happy to give pointers and help you learn how to get the best shaves - no matter what gear you're using.

As far as the GSBs, they're great blades. I have no knowledge if the manufacturing has moved, but the ones I have are from Russia. Very smooth and sharp. I just got a few Rapira blades in, however I haven't gotten to them yet. Many people seem to like them too.

Good luck with the shaves. Keep us posted!

Edison Carter and jluc like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

GSBs were always made in Russia and I agree they're great blades. If shaving daily is too much for your neck and not shaving daily isn't a problem for you, I guess you could just do that. If you need to shave daily, I'd try one or all of the following to see if they help--fewer passes, a less aggressive razor, better soap, and/or better prep.

FaceScraper likes this.