New soap containers

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Oct 6, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

It says they are stainless steel?

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Maybe mine were a knock-off version...they were certainly not rust proof!

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Most of my soap containers are plastic, No rust problems. Although I do have several shaving soaps that are in glass containers. (they cane in glass containers)

Jayaruh and BigCabDaddy like this.
  4. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Stainless steel is still an iron based alloy, having a minimum 10.5% chromium content, with other metals added, such nickel, molybdenum, titanium, copper, plus some non-metallic additives in varying quantities, designed to enhance properties such as workability, strength and cryogenic toughness, etc. Despite the "stainless" tag it's more appropriate to refer to such metals as "corrosion resistant".

At this price range such containers are likely to have a higher iron content (and dare I say be of far Eastern origin?). Shame, I'd been considering buying some myself but I've started down the resealable palstic containers route, having found some at a local hardware shop which fit a hydrated MWF without splitting.

Regards,
    Chris

5. BigCabDaddy

Interesting information Chris. Thanks. I know some bikers who would be all kinds of angry if their stainless bolts and other parts started rusting.

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  6. chrisbd

BigCabDaddy,
    The material for engineering purposes, such as nuts & bolts, would/should be of higher grade (and cost), due to its composition and higher spec - think of surgical grade stainless steel for instruments. Even then, it will still tend to show rust spots eventually over time if left exposed to atmosphere without care & cleaning.

I'm afraid the materials for cosmetic purposes, such as these canisters, would be sourced down to a price, rather than up to a spec.

Regards,
    Chris

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The corrosion resistance is based on the content of molybdenum. There are also different grades of stainless. There are different grades of stainless, which impacts the ability to resist corrosion. Pharma manufacturing uses 316 primarily, which ain't cheap.

chrisbd, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  8. chrisbd

Succinctly put and the very point I was (poorly) trying to make but basically "stainless" steel doesn't mean rust free. Especially so in the case of 3 cans for £5 (Ikea item price in the UK).

This thread's taken an interesting turn but essentially we're saying non-ferrous - glass, plastic, ceramic, aluminium (aluminum for our US friends), wood, etc - for rust free soap storage.

Regards,
    Chris

9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yup...the only metal containers I have that have shown no signs of rust are Le Pere Lucien and Pre de Provence...solid metal containers and no signs of rust. For me when I buy a new puck its going to be Pyrex containers from this point forward.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I like the Mason, Ball and Pyrex bowls very much. Being frugal all my soap storage containers are the small Ziploc containers. They are easy to find, seal well, stack well, fit all the soap pucks I've tried, won't rust or break if dropped and are dirt cheap! :happy088:

BigCabDaddy, Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And won't break if dropped

12. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I go to thrift stores consignment shops antique shops and I look for ceramic or wood bowls I store my soaps in those. much more classic I feel

TexasTiger, theFAT98, chrisbd and 5 others like this.
  13. BigCabDaddy

A lot of clever ideas going on there that I'd like to appropriate. Good job!

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks @Rusty blade for this. I went with the 2 cup version. Works great. :happy088::happy088:

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. chrisbd

Some ingenious storage ideas and an inspired notion for the brushes. Like the look of the wooden bowls too.

Regards,
    Chris

16. Whitemtntn

Whitemtntn New Member

I use a large coffee mug- the handle is very useful.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Where do you put your coffee?
    :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  18. Whitemtntn

Whitemtntn New Member

In my shaving mug of course.

19. BigCabDaddy

I find the ones are too deep for even my large brushes. Plus, I like lids.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Of course, how silly of me.:)

BigCabDaddy likes this.