New thyroid med

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Apr 13, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yesterday I visited an integrative medical office. Told them of my history with subclinical hypothyroid and how the synthetic (generic Synthroid) wasn't working out for a few reasons. They listened carefully, ordered up more comprehensive bloodwork than my GP or endocrinologist did, and prescribed a natural thyroid supplement, Nature-Throid. Started it yesterday so can't say yet whether I'm feeling any different but I'm not feeling any worse.

What's interesting is how so many people report (yes, anecdotally but still) that they function much better on the desiccated pig thyroid than they do on synthetics due to synthetics not containing components the naturals have. Yet doctors (including both the ones I see) dismiss it as crude and not nearly as good as the synthetic. I'll know in a few days whether they are correct, when the levels build up.

Still taking the ginseng/ginkgo blend, it does help.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I also take a thyroid pill every day, I'm very interested in your finding.

Zykris, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Synthetic or natural?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Interesting information. My wife takes thyroid meds, but I don't know what type. Hope the new meds help you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I had my thyroid zapped back in 1993 due to a hyperactive thyroid. Been on the synthetic (Levothyroxin) ever since. It has worked fine.

RaZorBurn123, Zykris and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It affected my appetite and I've put on weight. No can do. The alternative I'm on now is not having that effect so far.

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have put on weight too. However - I can't blame the meds. When I was on the meds but still in the Army, and running every day, I had no problem with weight. Now in the twilight of my life and not running 5 to 8 miles a day - I'm slowly putting on weight. I did recently start walking several miles each day with one of my dogs. We both are benefiting from it.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm glad it's working for you. My dad's been on Synthroid for about 30 years and he says it works for him as well. But I've always been on the thin side and the only thing that was different when I started putting on this gut...was the Levo. I started getting unbelievable munchies around the clock, and wasn't any less active than I had been before. I've since read it can have that effect with some people.

Now I've started back on my low carb diet so between that and the Nature-Throid, I should be able to drop this 7 or 8 pounds of fat pretty quick.

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

If the dosage is too high of the Levo - it increases your metabolism and your body responds by wanting more food. I had to have my dosage reduced a few years ago. I have an annual blood test to monitor it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    RaZorBurn123, Zykris and gorgo2 like this.
  10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have been taking Synthroid for a number of years with success. Hopes and prayers that the the medication works for you.;)

RaZorBurn123, Yehuda D and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Two months later, just had the follow up. The dessicated pig thyroid with T3 has worked well. At least the symptoms are all improved, and I'm down 4 pounds just from slightly increased metabolism. However, my body has been attacking my thyroid (antibodies are present, the start of Hashimoto's disease) and my T is below where it ought to be. Geezerhood indeed.

RaZorBurn123 and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have a mild case of hypothyroid and have been on a low dose of Levothyroxin. I can't say it's helping much as a synthetic goes. Doc won't try raising it because by blood levels it's fine. And insurance will not take the pig thyroid medication on. So I'd be very interested in your findings as well.

RaZorBurn123 and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've been there, pal, I know exactly where you are.

Find another doc if at all possible, one who will LISTEN TO YOU. If your insurance won't pay for the pig, consider paying for it yourself if you can. It's not as dirt cheap as levo but it really isn't all that high. At least as an experiment, anyway.

The GP and the endo. I went to both reviled NDT (Natural Dessicated Thyroid) before I even knew what it was. Turns out that's very common. I suspect kickbacks in some cases. But yeah, they just look at the T4 level and nothing else. If they can get the T4 to, say, a reading of 1, they say you're fine even if you still feel awful. My T3 was out of whack and still didn't feel right even though T4 started to look okay. Then there's the antibodies...and these guys would never have known because they didn't see the point in checking a complete thyroid panel. :angry019:

Anyway, you couldn't pay me to go back on levo; FOR ME, it worked briefly, at first, then nothing. I hear that's a fairly common reaction. But two months on NDT and I feel better, and think better, than I have in many years. Now to do something about the low T.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Dad is on Synthroid since many years. It seems to work very well for him.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My Dad as well.

RaZorBurn123 and Yehuda D like this.
  16. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Found it interesting that prior to the introduction of fluoride in most city / town water systems that hyperthyroidism was an issue and now hypothyroidism is an issue.
    Fluoride was used at one time as a hyperthyroidism solution.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

L-thyroxine which is synthetic.

18. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I've been taking Levothyroxine for some time now. I did Synthroid before, but my insurance won't pay for it, now. I went a year without any meds, and my thyroid got all out of whack. It's back to normal, now, though.
    Is that Nature Throid working out for you? I'd consider trying it.