New to me Wade and Butcher set.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Weasel640, Jun 5, 2019.

?

Appraised and put them away, or use them?

1. Appraised and put them away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Appraised and use them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just use them.

100.0%
  1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

This week I received a set of razors from my parents that we believe belonged to my great x3 grand father in the 1880s. The set is numbered 1 through 4 on the spines and set in an Appleton & Bassett (Boston) box.

My wife thinks I should have them appraised and put them away for safe keeping. I have no idea where around here would accurately appraise them. And as nice as they are I feel I should actually learn to use them... What would you do with this set?

If I were to set these up for use; What places provide the best honing services for the price? What are the best budget strops out there that I can get? What else would I need to put these to good use?

IMG_20190603_182300_391.jpg IMG_20190603_182500_147.jpg IMG_20190603_183539_901.jpg IMG_20190603_183455_351.jpg

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just use them, enjoy the family connection. They are already used so enjoy. Give this is a family heirloom they are priceless.

For restoration and honing both @gssixgun and @HolyRollah do fantastic work.

3. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Very nice looking razors, Glen @gssixgun does very good work honing and ready to use. I would definitely keep them and use them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice looking razors. I would have them restored, and honed properly. Then, use them every chance you can. Dont skimp. BTW, it looks like they have Ivory Scales.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

awesome set sir, use them ,add to the family history..

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I think that box gives a pretty narrow window to the age of the razors. George Appleton opened a retail business (cutlery included) in 1883 as Appleton & Litchfield. Looks like the name changed to Appleton & Bassett in 1893. Their doors closed in 1901. Looks like a nice 8 year window to date that set.

I have a gentleman’s Wade & Butcher set myself in an Appleton & Bassett box. Love it! Congrats on the heirloom.

As for a strop, I’m a big fan of a Plain Vanilla from Tony Miller. Heirloomrazorstrop.com
    Tom

Keithmax, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd use them. That being said, i wouldn't learn on them. A few similar razors to learn with would be a good idea. (In my mind anyway)
    Research what using and daily maintaining your items entails . Improper treatment can cause serious issues. I personally would hate to put a spot on a beautiful piece of family history. And something as simple as failing to completely dry one of these blades can leave a stain that it would take a restorer to remove.

DaltonGang, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with this!! Another man in the family putting then to use is just perfect.

Keithmax, Zykris and brit like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

What a great honor to be able to use the very same tools that your ancestor shaved with.

Add to the family history.

Keithmax, Zykris and brit like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'd personally would just use them and imagine my family member shaving with them just like I would be at that time. Past and present coming together in a beautiful scene of the connection of family. Much more valuable than any money.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Zykris and Edison Carter like this.