New to safety razors. Got a few questions

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TheGallifreyan, May 16, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too much water, my opinion.

AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Is this right? It seems to expand a lot more in every video Ive watched.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. swarden43

Honesty it is difficult to judge by pics. In the end, you have to be happy with it. If it's too thin - less water, more time on the soap to pick up more. If it's too thick and pasty - dribble in a little water.

If I had to pick between thin and slightly runny or thick and pasty, I'll take the thin and slightly runny because I know it will be slicker, resulting in a more comfortable shave.

5. swarden43

Looks much better to me. But are you happy with it?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That looks better. Keep at it.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Now take that, and lather it on your wet face. You don't have to use a bowl....

8. Already used a bowl. Lol.

[​IMG]

I think it's ready. Moving onto the shave.

9. Bama Samurai

Better, for sure! Good luck.

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. It still seems super thin when it on my face, no matter how long i wor it. I'm not happy with it. I'm giving up on this for now. I'm just gunna buy some shaving creme to use for now. I'll learn this some other time. I need to get to the shaving part so I can move on with my night.

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The large bubbles usually indicate too much water added at one time. Load the brush, swirl it in a dry bowl, then start dribbling in water with your fingertips a few drops at a time swirling and pumping between each addition. If large bubbles appear then work it more before adding more water. It's better to creep up on perfect than try to hurry it.

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Did it with shave creme did not go very well, but after an hour of playing with the soap, I was kind of annoyed, i am not a patient man, lol. Seems like the spray foam works better than the cream, but the spray foam is supposed to be the worst option, right? I like it though. Idk. I'll try the soap again tomorrow, but at a certain point I need to just use something else and get on with it, cause I can't spend all night shaving.

13. Bama Samurai

Traditional shaving is composed of several different skill sets. It takes a little time. There is nothing wrong with canned foam, it is gonna be better than poor soap lather. When you have a little time, watch some vids and play with your soap until you like the results. Your beard will grow forever, no need to stress over any of this.

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. A little reason. I'm looking for a job and gunna start applying soon, so I want to be able to give myself a really nice shave by the time I get an interview.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

For what it's worth I could never get the kind of thick luxurious lather out of the vdh boar that I get out of my synthetics.the boar holds a lot of water in the bristles so after you load up try to build the lather without adding water. If after a minute of building the lather it still seems too tacky add a few drops of water and work it some more

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

16. Bama Samurai

Each month, @NCoxSTL leads a technique focus group in the Shave School section. I participate in the group also, we'd love to help in any way we can. Those guys will get you straight up perfect in no time!

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Just a thought. Are you soaking your brush before you start loading? A boar brush needs to soak for a few minutes to hydrate the bristles. If you skip this step the brush will tend to absorb the lather and make it disappear and be hard to apply

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Key point.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There are also shave creams designed for traditional shaving. You might want to look into those as well.

I prefer creams to soaps myself.