New to safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ben Keller, Feb 10, 2023.

1. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I am one of the few who do not seem to notice much difference among blades. I started with a 100 pack of Astra SPs in a Merkur 33c, and they were fine. I've used them in all my razors and they were fine.

I've also used regular Dorcos from Dollar General and they were fine.

I've used the King C. Gillettes in my King C. Gillette razor.

I like the Gillette Platinums that come in the blue and white box with 50 blades-- inside they are on a card (a tuck of 5) for hanging in stores. (Some people call these Swedes.) The blue color is lighter that the other blue Platinums (the one supplied with the Gillette Heritage.) I don't think I ever used it in my King C. Gillette, though.

There has been a debate about whether or not there is a difference between the 2 "varieties" of Gillette Platinums, and whether the King C. Gillettes are just a rebrand of one of them.

For me, I just like the price of buying a box of 100 blades. Blade samplers usually cost more per blade, but in the end I guess it is the difference between being penny-wise and dollar-foolish. For me, being penny-wise has paid off. It may not work out that way for others.

Since you are new to DE shaving, a word of advice. If you like your razor (which you do), and like the shaves you are getting, then stop right there. Other than trying different blades, please resist the temptation to buy a different razor. If/when that one breaks, buy the same one, or if Gillette is no longer selling them, get a Muhle R89, which is essentially the same razor.

Lockback likes this.
  2. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

I've gone back and forth on that. I recently bought 50 blades of one brand where I could have bought 100 for only a couple dollars more.
    I actually ordered the 100 first, then thought about it overnight, cancelled it and went for 50 instead, although the per blade price is slightly higher. We're talking about pretty small costs here (and, trust me, I'm cheap!).
    I love the sample packs and still have a lot of blades I haven't tried yet. I'm probably the not the most blade-sensitive guy here, although I do notice differences here and there. I just get a kick out of trying a blade from Pakistan, then Germany, then Russian, then Egypt, then the Czech Republic, etc. One of my little quirks, I suppose. :)

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  3. ShaversRUs

We all are. That's why we started wet shaving, to save money on blades.
    ;)

Kilgore Trout and Lockback like this.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Glad you are enjoying your new shaving experience. Blades are pretty cheap. So experiment until you find one you like. Share the ones you don’t with others.

Lockback likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Disagree. I have been cut by a Feather as well as a Personna 74. In an R41 and a Feather AS-D2. Even the worst blade will slice the epidermis when used improperly.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    swarden43 likes this.
  6. ShaversRUs

Yes, last week I got a nasty cut from my Henson ++. That never happened before.
    If it can cut hair, it can cut skin.

Lockback likes this.