New to shave creams.. First impression

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by 1976MGB, Jan 1, 2017.

1. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Sorry if this is a cross post, I posted it in the SOAPS thread as well.. accidentally

I recently received a sample pack of Captains Choice shave cream. I have never used a cream, and tend to use tallow soaps. I was curious about creams, but never enough to try them. I was lucky enough to get a five pack sampler from Captains Choice, I've never used any of their products.

I have to say, they all smell good, but 45th parallel really stood out. Smells to me like a cherry almond cordial, but not overly sweet.

I have shaved with it four times, so this is more of a first impression than a review.

Aroma is top notch 10/10.
    It immediately made a thick rich face lather 10/10
    Did not have quite the slickness or glide I expected 7/10
    Shave was not as close as others, and left a bit of irritation in areas I don't usually have any 7/10
    Post shave feel... Holy Cow 11/10, maybe the best I've tried.

My first impression is that I will definitely use it again.

Would I recommend it as of now?? YES!
    Would I buy it? Based on fragrance and post shave alone, I'm going to have to.

If you have used these, let me know how it compares to other creams, as now I am much more interested in trying some creams....

Keithmax, dustmite and Herm2502 like this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have the Captain's Choice Bay Rum, North and Sandalwood. They are some of the best soaps I have in the Den. I'm up to about 25 soaps now with more on order - its part of the addiction. I love the bay rum scent and have several soaps from different manufacturers. The Captain's Choice Bay Rum is the best. All their soaps produce great lather. I definitely recommend their products.

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I also use the Captain's Choice shave bowl - see photo below of one of my set ups ready for a daily shave. As you can see, I also bloom the soap.
    Dec 30, 2016.jpg

4. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I also have the CC Bay rum. By far my favorite Bay Rum scent.

I noticed my soap went super soft, like a tube cream for some reason. Can't really load a brush from the container.

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

That's weird. I bloom mine and its still firm. Might be worth an email to Captain's Choice.

6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Or it could be that the smaller sample size just doesn't have enough mass.

7. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

It's a full size tub

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

So much for that theory. You may want to send a email to Captain's Choice then and see what they say. However this is not suppose to be a hard soap. More of a firm cream. "Croap" is the name given to these type of soaps. Cross between hard soaps and creams.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017