New to straight razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Luke Wooldridge, May 20, 2015.

1. Luke Wooldridge

Luke Wooldridge New Member

I'm a DE shaver and was given 2 straight razors from a friend whose father was a barber in Los Angles. He had the pleasure of shaving Herbert Hover, maybe with one of the razors that I have. Clyde is from the Scuffins Bar Sup Co, Los Angles and the other is Germaina Oxford. I don't know anything about the history of what I have, can someone identify what I have, any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

bdalemauger likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm sure those with more knowledge than I will be along soon, so I'll just say HI!

3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Those look awesome and totally restorable. What a great story to tell about them, too!

I don't know any history about those makers, but that Oxford looks to me like it has a set of bone scales. Both very cool!

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Cool finds! Are you planning on using them?

5. Luke Wooldridge

Luke Wooldridge New Member

I'm planning on using them but I need to get them honed. They have not been used since the 80's. My friend also told me that her father also had the opportunity to shave Gorbachev. Interesting history.

6. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Is her father still alive? He sounds like someone with some fantastic stories to tell.

7. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

'Clyde' is most likely Clyde Cutlery Co. out of Clyde, Ohio. According to Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery, we're in business from 1885 until at least 1998 (may even still be in business today). However, I came a across a photo online from the Clyde, OH public library of an old 'factory' of theirs that has 'Est. 1850' painted on it. Judging by the shave of the razor, I'd say it is from somewhere around 1900-1950. You may be able to narrow that time frame down by seeing if you can dig up and info on the retailer - Scuffins Barber Supply Co. - online. Since Clyde made the razor to order for Scuffins (e.g. stamped their name in the tang), if Scuffins was only in business for, say 15 years, then you'll know the razor was made sometime within those 15 years. Good luck with you research!

Also per Goin's Encyclopedia, Oxfords Razor Warranted Germany is circa 1900-1920, produced by the Germania Cutlery Works.

Drygulch and gssixgun like this.
  8. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

BTW - Something else I almost forgot to mention...

It's a little tough too tell for certain from just the one picture, but it looks like the Oxford scales may be made of bone.

gssixgun likes this.