New to straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Birdie, Jul 4, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me the difference between a "bellied" and an "extra" hollow? I have seen the terms used interchangeably and also to differentiate between themselves. For example, I run across 6 or 7 that say "a bellied or extra hollow blade..." on most google searches I do. To me, even with my glasses on, I can't see any difference in the pictures, either. Does anyone know what, if any, difference there is between the two grinds?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My understanding was a 'bellied 'grind left material at the base of the hollow, as seen in this pic, before the edge. Additional material near the ends, much like an I-beam, adds strength and stability. I could be way off—& it wouldn't be the first time...:D
    [​IMG]

markjnewcomb likes this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You can "Feel" the bellied grind easier then you can see it :) just pinch the blade gently with your thumb and forefinger and feel for the belly.. A Full Hollow will be just as thin but you will not feel the bulge..

markjnewcomb likes this.
  5. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Great offer by Glen. Nothing like entering the world of straights with a "shave ready" razor. Makes the experience so much better!

HolyRollah likes this.