New to this old art

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by benjiboy, Apr 28, 2013.

1. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

I'm 28 years old and am in the military so I am required to be clean shaven every day. The past few years I have been using a fusion cartridge. Before joining I used to shave every couple of days because I dreaded it. With the fusion I had to shave wtg, xtg, xtg the other way and atg to look BBS. If I didn't by mid day it looked terrible. I consequently got razor burn and bumps. I k we there had to be more to this and better ways. I had tried electric and they tore my neck up! So I came across straight razor shaving. I thought wow I could never do that! Well, why not? Countless men did that came before you, plus it's just downright manly! I saw the prices online and knowing nothing about what was good decided to get a Shavette to dip my toes in the water so to speak. I bought a Fromm disposable rigid back. I'm on my second shave and while I have razor burn and a sub par shave I attribute that to bad technique. Ive used VDH and Williams shave soap with a cheap brush and mug. I am dedicated to learning this art and achieving the ultimate shave. Soon I will buy a real cut throat but I don't have much money to invest. I'm glad I found this forum.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. You've found the right place. My story is almost exactly the same. Military, suffered through too many years with a Fusion but it took me a few more years to get fed up with it than it took you. You're obviously smarter than me. Good luck with the new old way.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Thank you sir! I knew there had to be better and I knew I could look better.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks for serving.
    What branch?
    I'm retired Air Force, 1980-2000 Avionics Technician

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Enjoy the experience.

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the Den from a VET. I can't help you much, I'm a DE razor person. I do suggest trying some shave creams. VDH and especially Williams can be very difficult to lather for a beginner. You must have a good thick, rich, lather before you even attempt to shave. Also...thank you for serving!

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

I'm in the Navy. I'm a corpsman. You are very welcome. It's my pleasure. The soaps. I read up and watched some videos so I just kept going until I got the lather I desired. I'm sure it wasn't that great but I didn't think it was too bad from what I had read about it.

jabberwock likes this.
  8. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Welcome from another Sailor ETC(SW) Ret 82-02' I didn't discover the joys of traditional shaving until a year ago. I have recently moved to Str8 razors from DE. You will find the shave you are looking for as your technique improves. On a budget, I would recommend whippeddog.com I got a great razor from Larry when I started. The important thing is to make sure you get one that is shave ready. I have never used a shavette but have heard that they are quite a bit different than shaving with a Str8.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice.

10. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Hey, I was a corpsman too! After drudging along with force recon I decided it was time to do something much easier.

If you're looking for a good quality, shave ready straight razor try Whipped Dog. The prices include shipping, so if you get a sight unseen straight razor and a travel strop it'll cost you $51 total.

http://www.whippeddog.com/

11. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Welcome to TSD! :wave: You'll fit right in here!
    image.jpg

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

13. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Enjoy the journey. You're shaves will improve just keep at it. Takes a month or so for things to line up. I really like using shavettes, good shavers, no maintenance.

14. fanhui23

fanhui23 Member

Looks like there are a lot of fellow military personnel here. :)

Yea, it's definitely a great item to be placed in the bunk. Before you know it, the whole barrack would be going crazy over using straight razor.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here. I'm a National Guardsman with one deployment under my belt.

16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! Safety razors are great for men in the military who need to shave daily. Thanks for your service, I definitely appreciate it.

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

+1. My Tech serves me very well when I go on military outings. Next time, I will try taking a brush with me and seeing how it works out for me. I try to use products that I don't care about losing.