New Wedge blade razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'm dazzled as always

GAW9576, Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You really are a sick and twisted individual, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm in if this makes it to the passaround testing stage.

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If this works out as another homage to English razors you should add for the next version a movable comb like on the Wilkinson Pall Mall razors.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    GAW9576, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I would do a pass around. I am a bit concerned about keeping the blade in proper order.
    I stopped the blade in the Rolls setup. I was lucky that one of my Rolls had a nice strop with no paste on it.

I need to give it several shaves to see how it strops. I LOVE how these blades take an edge. Nice hard steel but not brittle.

GAW9576 and Billyfergie like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Just finished my first shave. I set it initially where I thought it would be good. I had 5 days growth. Not the best of situations. Did a first pass and I had to stop. Too much blade for 5 days. It was tuggy. So I dialed it back and tried again. Much better I was able to do a first pass.

Second and third passes were no issue. I do think I need a bit more exposure next time. I am a bit concerned about Stropping on the Rolls rig. The strokes are so short I do t get a feel for the blade. I normally would give the blade 20 laps on the cloth and 50 to 75 depending on feel.

I think I will have to make a Stropping handle for the Rolls blade. Or maybe modify one I already have. Rolls blades are much thicker on the spine than normal wedges.

All in all a good shave. I do think I want to make a wooden handle for this razor.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I may have a solution for both the pass-around, and the stropping handle issue.

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am all ears!

GAW9576 and Billyfergie like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I just happen, by happy coincidence you understand, to have some vintage items that were designed expressly with this sort of situation in mind.
    IMG_1600702086810.JPEG
    The sharpener is a Stag Co. Universal Sharpener. This one has "Pat. Applied For" on it. The patent was granted, if memory serves correctly, in 1920 or '21.

I picked this up on a whim, to continue my casual research into blade sharpening devices of the 1920's and '30's. While the machine was touted as "universal," that, sadly, does not apply to modern blades. The clamping pressure is such that the blades bend as you try to load them, tend to hit on the back, and are a pain to align.

This device was designed to sharpen the Ender's, Christie's, Gem and early Gillette blades. It was, to my eye anyways, also designed to accommodate wedge blades, which though falling out of favor, were still in use at this time.

It was meant to be used with a combination hone, like the one in the picture. The hone itself is in excellent condition. The leather is not in terrible shape. The backing felt is in terrible shape. I'm including 2 pieces of vegetable tanned full grain leather I had laying around. I would advise replacing the felt and leather with one of these.

The other piece of leather is so you can replace the leather if it gets bodged up during the pass around. My tool didn't come with the instructions, but they were pretty basic. "Push forward to hone, pull back for stropping."

My gift to Tom for his project. Ought to save him an hour or so, not having to make it from scratch. If it needs to be modified for the project, let it be modified.

GAW9576, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Killer. That will be perfect.
    Many thanks.

GAW9576, Billyfergie, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Here's a better picture of the whole thing.
    [​IMG]
    ...and I was wrong about the patent date. 1916, so this probably dates from 1915 or so.

Edit: later models had two wheels on each side, to more evenly distribute pressure, I would imagine. While, nice as it would have been to have a later model, I don't think it will matter for this application.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sweet. I happen to have some nice firm felt to refurbish the hone.

GAW9576, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    GAW9576, Billyfergie, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Brass or wood and Brass handle? Mind you this will not be the wood handle. The razor is head heavy. I will make it a bit longer but with a brass rod running the length inside to add a bit more handle weight. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GAW9576, jimjo1031, Ron R and 3 others like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shave 2 same blade with a JNat Stone. Same blade as yesterday. I gave it 75 up and back on the Rolls strop.

Very nice results I must say. I think the blade needed more laps on the strop. I have a second blade finished on a coti. I will give that a go tomorrow or Wednesday. If everything goes OK I will start a pass around in the coming week or two. I need to get the Stropping situation sorted for those who will participate in the pass around.

Also if someone has an extra Rolls blade or two they are willing to part with, I would be interested. I had several others but had to forfeit them when I honed some for a member, but his disappeared in transit.

GAW9576, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Interesting razor Tom, looks like it is a personal touch adjustable lather catcher. I like your design on the wooden handle also. Another interesting razor creation of yours.
    Very enjoyable to see something different when it comes to shaving.

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks. Wedge blade razors are my favorite. The Fox razor was killer looking, so I designed off of that. Pretty happy with the results. I realize that wedge blade razors are at the bottom of the heap due to the work required.

17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

This is a super-cool design. I'm so impressed with anyone who has this much creativity and then the ability to carry it out!!

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Whipped up a new handle this morning. I will just oil the wood.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

GAW9576, cpool222, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  19. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

Very Cool!!!

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s a very nice looking handle!

:happy088: