Newby from AB, Canada

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Dr.Wybert, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Hi all,
    Just started to Shave with a DE safety razor, tried several Gillette cartridges over the years as well as electric shaving.
    I mainly tried electric shaving because of razor burn with the Gillette's, but was quickly turned off by
    the fact it never went close enough to the skin.
    So this is an eyeopener for me, and quite a discovery. I found 2 razors at the antique mall here in Edmonton 1 was a Valet autostrop, still in it's case, the other a 1948 Gillette Milord. The milord i bought for 14 bucks, and has only 2 scratches and most of the plating intact so i was thrilled with that find.
    I am using it right now with some heavily overpriced Wilkinson blades, still a better shave then i've ever had.
    Well that's where I am at right now, trying different directions of shaving, different texture of shaving cream, etc, etc.
    Will have a lot of fun learning and exploring here on the forums
    Cheers

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Welcome. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome Doc, nice to have you here. Happy shaving.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Glad you're here!

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi Canuck..welcome to TSD!. anicanada-mic.gif

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Dr.Wybert....I hope you enjoy your stay...:)
    The Gillette Milord is a nice razor. You should consider getting a large blade sampler pack , the more different blades you try the sooner you will find the blade/blades that work best for your face. What soap and brush are you using? Van der Hagan Delux is sold locally here in America, it's inexpesive and lathers well. I use a bestshave #6 Horse hair brush VERY inexpensive,but the QC is sometimes lacking. I own several and all lather well..Other than that Time,Technique,Practice and Patience will get you to your goal of a smooth, close and irritation free shave..:D

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

WOO! MORE ALBERTANS!

Welcome to TSD :)

8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Not only that, another Edmontonian! That makes three of us now! :D

Welcome to TSD! It's awesome to see another Albertan here! What mall was it, Old Strathcona, Rocky Mountain? As you found, there are some awesome finds here in the city, every now and then. :)

9. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

Welcome from BC!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

11. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

:signs046:I hope you enjoy traditional shaving as much as we do. It's something that takes a little bit of trial and error before you can reap the benefits. I hope you enjoy your journey as much as I'm enjoying mine. TSD will help guide you from start to finish.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Allo dayr - welcome from Mon Ray al, Kaybek! - welcome, and enjoy! :)

14. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den. :)

16. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD.

17. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    I received my samples from Razor blades & more.com. The reason i got them from there was prize and the fact they had the blades for my valet, single edge feathers.Iradke gave me some advise on using it, but it has a bit of a mean streak compred to my Gillete. Something to work on, or to enjoy from a distance.
    I've tried the unmarked israeli blades that came with the pack. Quite an improvement over the wilkinsons..allthough that might not be that hard.Also getting better at building up lather with my prorazo white.
    So i will be busy for awhile I might try that 30 day rule, GDCarrington.
    I would like to find a dutch razor, but i think they might all be german or gillete over there.
    I am afterall a Duth import myself, so would only be fair.

18. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Hi and :signs046: to The Shave Den!Nice finds sound like you got a great deal on the Milord!

19. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Thanks!love these forums, nice people and lots of advice