Nickel Plating Kit

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by MrEE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. MrEE

I would recommend the accessory kit if you don't have a rectifier.

Edit: the accessory kit does not include a rectifier, but instead it includes safety supplies and aluminum plating solutions. Not needed for replating brass razors.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    brit likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Do you have a link to the accessory kit?

brit likes this.
  4. MrEE

Actually the accessory pack does not include a rectifier. It includes solutions for plating aluminum which most people here wouldn't do. Any 5 or 10 amp rectifier will work.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FV1PGP/?tag=thshde-20

The accessory pack is as follows but since it does not include a rectifier, it's not worth it unless you want to plate on aluminum substrates.

https://caswellplating.com/nickel-plating-accessory-package.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The black nickel plating kit looks interesting.

MrEE and brit like this.
  6. MrEE

I should offer a disclaimer. Casswell is a well-known company and I will be buying their nickle plating crystals and brighters.

However all my current electrolytes came from Rio Grande. Rio Grande sells jewelry supplies and kits which are much smaller, and somewhat portable, but more expensive.

https://www.riogrande.com/

brit likes this.
  7. MrEE

I've seen black nickel and it is black. Certainly wouldn't be a restoration, but could look cool. Anyone want a black NEW LC?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Two things haven't been mentioned yet, and probably ought to be.

1. These chemicals are considered toxic waste, and it can be expensive to get rid of them, should you need to.

and

2. Provided you don't do anything really stupid, these chemicals should last almost indefinitely for plating. The consumable part of this setup is the nickel anode, which is very cheap to replace.

brit likes this.
  9. MrEE

Disposal is a pretty common concern. I get asked about it almost every time I bring it up.

Caswell provides this information: https://support.caswellplating.com/article/97-disposal-of-chemicals

Plating can involve pretty nasty chemicals, but these kits are formulated to be safe for the public to use. I'm still using the 1-quart bottle of bright nickel electrolyte I purchased over a year ago. I've plated several dozen razors in it and I have yet to consume a single anode. It's getting close, but a new anode for my 1-quart tank costs about $10.

I admit the only thing I purchased from a plating supplier is the electrolyte. All the other chemicals I use are pool chemicals, drain cleaners (I'm pretty sure it's okay to dump them down the drain), and household cleaners/degreasers. It's all out there and it's cheap for anyone willing to try. However, when you buy a kit, you get free tech support. So, you have an expert you can ask when something goes wrong... and things will go wrong.

Side note: A few months ago, my wife asked me to strip the seasoning off a cast iron pan she wanted to re-season. I mixed up a large batch of my alkali degreaser (soda ash, lye, and trisodium phosphate) and set the pan in it to soak. I thought I was in for hours of scrubbing. That alkali solution stripped the seasoning off in minutes, no scrubbing required.

Terry, PLANofMAN and brit like this.