NO BUY JULY 2015 or ARE YOU THE MASTER OF YOUR OWN UNIVERSE?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Omaney, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Good question.
    For NBJ '14 we had this mini-survey to see what/if anything the participants felt had 'changed' after their participation:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/final-survey-for-nbj-participants.39558/

jeraldgordon likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more @jeraldgordon

I'm all for anyone spending as much as they can afford, being a devout capitalist, but I am also finding that simplifying my life has an appeal all its own.
    I have used this "fasting" period to revisit products I haven't been using in a while and also reassessing gear. I'm building up to a decent purge. The Nationwide box will get some new stuff and of course eBay will see some razors I no longer want.

I've realized I'm not a collector, I'm a user. If I don't use it, it needs to go.

3. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

For me it was Stirling stuff. That's the next soap and balm on my list to try, and with their new brush coming out for the lower price I almost didn't wait. I had a cart full and ready to go, but then I remembered the difference between getting in July and August is next to nothing. Waiting a couple weeks is no big deal, and saving a couple bucks in the grand scheme of things really isn't a big deal either.

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Add me to the list of simplifiers. I joined NBJ because of a challenge but learned something from it. I truly believe that my purchases will be reduced from now on. While I still have some items on my watch list (Rubberset 400) I don't think I will be buying just because it is a deal anymore. I will be more selective. Thanks for challenging me @Darkbulb.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I will be more selective going forward. I will buy a Rubberset 400 #4 to complete the trio and going forward with the Wolfman razor when my turn arrives. I feel in general my purchases will decline going forward.

Hodge, Rufus T., wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Even that Feather AS-D2 I just bought is being RIFed. Nice, heavy, well built razor, it's just not for me. I prefer my $5 Lord Racer. Go figure.

Hodge, clint64, jeraldgordon and 2 others like this.
  7. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I did not let temptation get in my way, stayed away from my favorite antique stores. Antique malls are generally overpriced in Indiana. Stayed away from the razor case at my local thrift shop. Ebay is no big deal, not in a hurry to join that feeding frenzy. As far as future purchases:
    TSD soap, not for awhile
    TSD menthol bomb, when I order the soap
    TSD aftershave, Again when I order the soap

Fine American aftershave, need to reduce my inventory first to make room on the shelf.

No razors or blades.

Dave
    NOBUY1.png

Hodge, Rufus T. and clint64 like this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha later. Defending on if I win

Norseman likes this.
  9. Omelmad

No way hahaha really?

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am almost done with my 7th 30 day focus for 2015. Honestly, that has done more to curb my buying habbits than NBJ. Knowing I can't use any hardware I purchase until I work it into a focus has made me a lot more selective.

NBJ was kind of a fun thing with my wife, in that she knew I was doing it so would tease me about it. For me, I have found that I am content with a lot of the consumables I have. I have 9 soaps right now, and want to get that down to 5 total, so it will be a while before I purchase any more. The part of this hobby that drives my ADs is vintage stuff. I only have one modern razor I want to keep, a Feather AC. For DE Razors, I am going to keep one for shaving duty, and put the rest in a display case in my office. For my straights, I have 13. That is plenty to shave with, if you are only using 3 in a month of a focus. Five of mine still need to be honed, which leads me to my next AD, hones. I think two more will get me a workable set, and that is my goal. Just have a set of tools that will do the job. For aftershaves, I need to use up the ones I don't really like, and replace them with ones I do. I think I am going to target 5 as the number to get to as well.

All in all, I am glad I did NBJ. The vintage stuff is probably going to continue to fine homes with me, but I look at a lot of that as collecting, but still using.

Hodge, clint64, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I was going to get a picture of Pat Morita, but thought Yoda would be just a little better fit.

I am simplifying things. I don't need what I have, much less any more stuff.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Really.

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

let's call it an exercise in futility.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I might treat myself to a Vetiver aftershave , if I can decide on one. I don't plan on doing what I did with bay rum and buying them all to see which one I liked the most.

jeraldgordon, clint64 and Dzia Dzia like this.
  15. Omelmad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this is what I was gonna break my NBJ for. But I was outbid. No biggie, another one will pop up sometime

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

And that little segment (hones), Alice, is QUITE the rabbit hole.
    If you think razors can be expensive, just wait until you venture into the world of hones, particularly the natural variety.
    :sad027:

Drygulch, Hodge and clint64 like this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm pretty sure that's toothpaste
    lol

18. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I have a friend who's longing for a Black Beauty. I found one. Contacted the seller. He agreed to hold it for me. It will give me great joy to have this razor shipped to my friend. As for me... I've discovered the razors can wait but boy do I want some Florida Water and some vetiver extreme. Must be a fragrance AD.
    @Jayaruh has certainly increased an interested in brushes. Thanks Jim!!!

wristwatchb, Drygulch and Rufus T. like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oops, I just thought of something. I bought a wood form and began working on my own custom brush. Did I violate NBJ?

Rufus T. likes this.
  20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Your Honor!
    May I approach the bench? :scared003: