No Buy July - Participant List, Rules and other stuff

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am going to buy some Feather blades. I know I stated might not buy anything but Labs just do not cut it for me in Tech or my Weber. In my Tech the labs are almost useless. Even though they are expensive they are still cheaper than carts.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Nooo.. Dont do it. 3 more days man

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  3. BigMark

Relax dude. Not til August.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Probably my favorite DE blades...

5. BigMark

2 more days, then I'm getting me some Feathers to try out.

6. BigMark

I hope they work man. The labs just suck in a Tech, and I have read these are great to pair with a mild razor.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I tend to use them in the not-so-mild razors. Some users find the Feathers too harsh; others think them divine.
    Your face will be the judge. I hope they work exceptionally well for you to warrant the additional cost.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. BigMark

Well I am shaving my noggin so the most aggressive I will go is a Weber. But I plan on ordering a 10 pack and a blade bank come August 1st.

9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Where do you guys purchase your feathers from? I recently got a 50 pack prior to NBJ.

10. BigMark

I am going to buy em from West Coast Shaving.

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Amazon is one good source, and with great pricing.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

This experiment got me more in touch with the magic that is Arko soap and the magic that is the Omega 10049 boar brush. I was able to assuage my apothecary urges by stocking up on some shower soaps I found at Whole Foods. They had a stand-alone display by the checkout with piles of bar soaps with the word "Good" stamped into them (made by Alaffia). They're shea based soaps and they are indeed good. I've been using them for body and shampoo bars the past couple weeks and really like them. I think the deal is $2.49 each or 3 for $6.00. Something like that. I picked up Sunshine, Coconut and African Black scents. Getting those in the rotation has helped keep things interesting. After I got them home I was doing some research and read somewhere that they're supposed to be all purposed bars…someone said you can actually shave with them. I lathered up with one and the lather began to break down almost immediately. Could probably get a shave out of it in a pinch, but it's by no means a shaving soap.

Omelmad and Omaney like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

43 hours left.. PST :lam:

Omelmad and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

With the finish in sight, don't be THIS guy…;)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Look for a "free shipping" on Amazon. Shipping is a huge percentage of cost when buying blades.

Shaver X and Omaney like this.
  18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Definitely am even more enamored with Arko after NBJ. I put a dab under my nose just so I can bask in its greatness throughout the day. It has replaced Hoppes #9 as my manly man scent.

ObiDon likes this.
  19. BigMark

Only 1.5 Days left.

20. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

PayPal is loaded up and ready to go..just have to wait til friday to pull the trigger. This was a challenging month. Even though it was "No Buy", I still found myself trying to find ways to acquire new items. I stayed away from the auction sites, but somehow got obsessed with soaps and creams. I did my best to stay distracted through PIF giveaways and razor rack building. Overall, I realized that I have plenty of great gear, and I plan on focusing my efforts to converting more people from cartridge shaving. Thanks for experience gentlemen. Almost there...

Omelmad and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.