No, Old Spice was never "reformulated"

Discussion in 'Scents' started by olafurson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion, here is my two cents, having tried most variations of OS from Vintage in glass, Vintage in plastic, New P&G OS and Shulton from India
    The OS from India in glass most resembles the original, maybe a little stronger.
    The OS I have in the glass lighthouse bottles differs from one bottle to the other.
    As stated...the scent changes over time, no two vintage variations I have smell the same.
    I find the new P&G scent different from the old Shulton, I dont think this is a formula change but simply a formula reaction with the plastic packaging.
    I love old arguments....chicken or egg

Here is a pic of some of my OS collection
    HPIM2585.JPG

ObiDon, Dridecker and CyanideMetal like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

From the write up above.

"Conclusions: The current Shulton and vintage Shulton products, overall, are very similar. What small differences exist between them may possibly be attributed to the age of the sample or point to a natural variation in components in some essential oil. It is the author's opinion that Shulton is using the same recipe in India that was used to manufacture the vintage sample. The P & G Old Spice appears to be significantly different from the other two Old Spice samples. I believe that there may be some evidence here for a change in recipe sometime between when the vintage Old Spice was produced and the current recipe. Whether that supposed change occurred before or after P & G obtained the product line is impossible to say. Finally, it appears that the Vijon flavors and fragrances chemists have done an admirable job at reproducing the current P & G product."

ObiDon likes this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I bet absolutely no one would be able to pass the Pepsi challenge with the two, old and new. Never understood why people worried about it so much.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Back in the early '60's when I was in college the feeling was that Old Spice was a 'older fragrance' . The one that seemed to be used most frequently was Canoe Cologne. Now going on 50yrs later I can honestly say. 'ain't old enough yet'!! Thank god!

5. nefastvs

nefastvs New Member

So, what you're saying Old Spice is an old man scent?

battle.munky likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I'll answer this one. It is a scent you wear when you finally grow up and want to smell like a man instead of a teenager! :happy108:

Bird Lives and CyanideMetal like this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

He very well may be saying that, but around here, that ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

Bird Lives likes this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Yes, it's an older gentlemen's choice.:)-).

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

As Axe is a younger, er, um, choice? :scared007:

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I really like!! I still use the OS AS and scents.. It just a classic

12. nefastvs

nefastvs New Member

I'm 30 and girls 18-33 love it on me. So...

Bird Lives likes this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I think "mistake " is the word u want there. bg.

Bird Lives and GDCarrington like this.
  14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I don't believe axe is a choice. But... It does work well as an air freshener in a car if one smokes:)-).

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

So everybody......Which Old Spice scent does the TSD OS scent come closest to....I recently tried a glass bottle with a grey stopper I believe came from India....It was slightly powdery, I loved it....I haven't smelled any OS since I was 20....Man I have missed it...

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

So, smoke and Axe counteract each other! Hmm! Interesting! :happy102:

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Yes, they all do but the Chocolate . Don't even think about the Chocolate in the car. With or without smoke.:)-).

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Thanks for your research. I enjoy my new Old Spice in the plastic bottle.

FYI, it's spelled Procter (just a little pet peeve of mine).

19. DFrancis

DFrancis Member

Similar but different, pick up the Indian Shulton and compare to P&G. Myself I like the Indian Musk best of all the scents.

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hi Darren... you look a bit different than I remember. <bg>

DFrancis and GDCarrington like this.