No, Old Spice was never "reformulated"

Discussion in 'Scents' started by olafurson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I remember when I was a just a boy watching the sailor in the Old Spice commercials and thinking to myself how I would one day use Old Spice when I started shaving. Amazing how powerful advertising can be.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. DFrancis

DFrancis Member

Updated the avatar, from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, to Butch.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Excellent thread. Old Spice is my favorite. I currently purchase the Old Spice Lime shaving creme from India and enjoy it thoroughly. I am going to have to start trolling for some vintage Shulton on ebay.

4. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I used Old Spice for years and still like it. I'm trying some different after shaves and colognes right now, but I will put Old Spice back in the rotation soon. Always, Gene

Bird Lives likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Somethings were perfect right from the get go....Old Spice was one of them....Timeless...Just as relevent today as the day it made the scene....

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Bird Lives

Well I went back and got it yesterday....Turns out it was a plastic bottle with a red stopper...and is the P&G from Canada not the Shulton from India....LOL...I was wrong on all counts.....Guess I wasn't paying too much attention back in April...lol!! But I was knocked out by the scent...and on that I was right on the money...

Some say the P&G smells a little more powdery than the Indian Shulton....I've never tried the Indian variety but man...I love this bottle I picked up yesterday....As much as I love to dog P&G, I have to give credit where credit is due...This juice :git:

I really don't think I want to be without this again...ever...;) This stuff blows away many colognes rocking high price tags at many of the finest perfume counters....Just Sayin'

Its not about the bread....Now I see why I have been drawn to Guerlain's Habit Rouge EdT...very similar...I never noticed it before...as I said, it's been awhile since I have actually used OS...but I don't plan on making that mistake again...

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Some things are timeless classics. Pinaud Clubman, Old Spice, and Bay Rum all fall into that category. I'm in my early thirties and when I was in high school all the guys wore Tommy and Cool Water. I wore Old Spice or British Sterling. Now I have more refined tastes, and I enjoy expensive colognes, but under those colones is a layer of cheap Old Spice. I just keep refilling my glass bottle from the cheap plastic ones.

Edit: 9 days out of 10, I don't wear cologne. But I always wear one of four things daily. TSD English Fern Shave Milk splash, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, or Master's Bay Rum. When the Master's runs out, I'll probably look into Krampert's finest bay rum. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

I hear ya....I've been using...Guerlain Habit Rouge...Pour Un Homme De Caron...Acqua de Parma Colonia....sometimes Arpage Pour Homme, or Chanel Pour Monsieur....But quite frankly....this Old Spice is simply the best of the lot...and I have had cats known for their perfume expertise compliment my nose in the past....I doubt they would again if they read this...:happy102: ...but I must give credit where credit is due...Now I'm thinking Jean Paul's Original Habit Rouge Cologne was an Old Spice Flanker....;) HR hit the counters in '61 and OS had already been out there for almost 25 years....

All though its been a successful frag for many generations, I still believe it's highly underated.

9. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I know this is an old post but just wanted to put this out there: If anyone is trying to get the Indian Shulton Old Spice, make sure you buy it from either an Indian Import place or from West Coast Shave. Both Amazon and Rakuten have OS that they are advertising as "Shulton" but in the comments section you will see that everyone who ordered it received the PG Old Spice. Nasty little trick.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I'm not going to argue whether there's a difference in old vs new, Shulton vs P&G, etc. But I have used OS since the 70s, long before shaving forums where things like this are discussed ad nauseum(not a knock, just an observation), and through the years I just went to the store and bought a bottle of OS Original. I noticed no difference in the scent, and had no reason to suspect any problems. Never really paid attention to who made it, and only realized it was P&G product once I came on the forums and saw the conversations about it. I only cared what it smelled like. It's always smelled the same to my nose all these years. Still does. Still love it.
    If others smell a difference, and it means that much to them, I'm happy for them if they can find the one they think of as "right". That's what it's all about in the end. The P&G version has the scent I'm used to and am looking for, and I'll gladly continue to use it for as long as it does..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    PLANofMAN and tuxxdk like this.
  11. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I agree, not trying to start a flame war here, but I agree. I just bought a bottle of the PG stuff a couple hours ago and used it. It smells exactly the same as my grandfather. I've read the infamous B&B article on this and maybe there is a difference between the two but it smells the same to me. I guess in the end do what makes you happy. I do think that part of the trouble with this sort of thing is that human perception is completely unreliable and there have been substantial studies done to confirm that too! If you suggest to someone that two identical things may smell different, there is a very good chance that they will. So, if you have decided that one will smell superior to the other before you even buy it, then it will. So again, you just have to do what makes you happy. For me, going down to the drugstore and paying $9 for OS that smells exactly how I want it to makes me much happier than paying $16 (with shipping) for a bottle off the internet that might be different.

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've had Old Spice in my medicine cabinet probably since at least 1980 and smelled Dad's and Granddad's for many years before that. I am not sophisticated enough to tell any difference in scent. I can only tell a difference in the bottles. Right now I have a glass bottle of cologne and a plastic bottle of aftershave.

tuxxdk and SRNewb like this.
  13. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I wish I had a glass bottle...I do hate the plastic ones. When we were cleaning out my grandpa's house I found a whole crate of empty OS bottles. Should have kept 'em.

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The Old Spice Original, available locally here, is in a glass bottle.

15. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I've seen a couple of AS that are sold in plastic in US that are all in glass bottles here in Europe, I don't think I ever saw an aftershave in a plastic bottle

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I own several iterations of OS, going all the way back to a near-full tall clear glass bottle of Shulton's "Old Spice Toilet Water" from the '30s or '40s. For me the differences have been noticeable yet so subtle that it wasn't worth ditching one in favor of another. They're all good. The Dollar Store version is very good for a reproduction but the best/closest clone of Shulton OS I have ever found is Avon's BRISK SPICE, an improved version of their '60s era SPICY, which was itself a clone of OS. Highly recommend you obtain a bottle of BRISK if you come across one, even if you don't or won't own any other Avon. If you like OS, you will be impressed.

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Fendrihan carries Old Spice that's made in the EU, I wonder if it's along the lines of the original formula as well. $18 though is a wee bit pricey for a test run....

19. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

The infamous B&B article.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have used it for over 40 years. There is a difference. It happened. Whether it is enough for someone to care about is a personal YMMV like most things with wet shaving. Just to set the record straight though, you can get 100ml of Shulton Old Spice shipped for $9.45, not just 50ml for $16.00.

I prefer the original Shulton. The P&G is a bit more "flowery". I transfer it to my glass Old Spice Flying Cloud bottle.

Different strokes for different folks..........

Bob

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.