No Safety Bar? who's brave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Jun 5, 2015.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I love my 2011 R41. It isn't the most comfortable shave but it is the most efficient BBS provider I have. I've shimmed it and it was too much. Please make a thread with your experience when you do shim it. She's a wily sucker to begin with and shimming took her out beyond where I consider usable. Coulda just been lack of stick-to-it on my part too though.

2. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with you and it kind of sounds like you're saying you'd have to pay attention while shaving to not cut yourself with this. I really like the idea as it's kind of like shaving with a straight but without the awkward grips you have to learn.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

After reading the post and checking out the video, I wouldn't mind trying out this "DEvette" razor, but I wouldn't pay $40 bucks for the opportunity :(. Especially after the comments at the end of the video on the fit and finish of the razor. Also I would need to change out the overly long and unkurled handle. I like some grip and control on my handles.
    So in the end I think the guy doing the video "hit the nail on the head" when he said the razor is potentially vicious, needs a lot of time and attention to use, with no real benefit to the user in either shave quality or speed. Before buying this I think I would sacrifice an old Indian or Chinese DE and snap off the guard, I've read of this being done in the old days when I guess people were more familiar with straights.
    For now though I think I'll just stick with my Weber, Gillette "NEW" and ER 1924. :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hmmm...

*eyes spare NEW baseplate*

*eyes Dremel*

Hmmm...

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's what I was thinking too. I have no desire to try either a completely toothless/guard-less DE or a straight, but it could be done. Someone with ADD might want to think twice, though.

Billyfergie, DEfettish and txskimo like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

No thankie!

DEfettish and Weeper Warrior like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

8. john godzina

john godzina New Member

Barbie blue ... no safety bar .... i go slow ... slow and careful ... closest shave ever. It ain't pretty but if you're careful it gives the closest shaves ever (feather blades and slow). shave with straight edge and lots of de's ....my beard is like steel and i care go 1 1/2 days with this. I only use it every week or so; rest of the time straight edge or traditional safety razor. for me, nothing can compare. Failure to concentrate 100% = blood.

opsimath, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've used a homemade one before, on a pass around. I managed to do several very close shaves, without any nics, from what I remember. One this is for sure, my concentration was never better.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

First. It just looks menacing. Second. You'd need the steady hand of a brain surgeon and the nerves of a bomb disposal tech to avoid any bloodletting.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Not in the best interest of my face.

Karl G likes this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Rolls Razor..:p
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That razor there just looks a stupid design..I use a Rolls Razor without a Safety Bar..You can see the shaving angle is the same as a straight razor..I don't use the Safety Bar as I enjoy the Freedom of the Blade on its Lonesome..Smooth & Smooth..My Blade is Awesomely Sharp & that Dolphin Smooth Shine on my Face is the End Result..The Rolls Wedge Blades are Wickedly Sharp but ever so Comfortable...Just a Straight Razor on a Stick..:p

Billy..:chores016:

Redfisher, mrchick, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

I seriously need to break out my Rolls Razors, and try to get a proper edge on them.

14. Billyfergie

You wont regret that..If this was getting Sold today it would be called a Mongoose on PCP or Angel Dust..:happy102:

mrchick, twhite and Karl G like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The passaround started up again. I used a homemade version for head shaving. I think it was the same one as @DaltonGang. I got decent results. No cuts or seekers, no irritation, but it wasn't very comfortable. It always felt like it was tugging the hairs out. I need a safety bar with a large gap. That's my sweet spot.
    collage_20160215084006690.jpg

16. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

I know a fellow on a different forum who uses his father's modified Tech once a year.

The Tech was modified to remove the guard bars.

17. mlbarber26

mlbarber26 Active Member

No thank you!!! I even stopped the video half way through!:eek::eek::eek:

18. DaltonGang

I broke out two Rolls razors. I have three blades, and two look New. I used some Rolls Razor Stropping Paste, still very moist and creamy. I honed the neck out of the blades, then stropped them, the used blade, and one new looking one sharpened the best. They cut the hair on my arm like going through butter.
    Sorry, I'm hijacking the thread. I will PM.

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. Billyfergie

Sounds good..You can use the safety bar but I find it just gets in the road..The safety bar is only really for stopping the blade getting damaged when its Flipping Over during Honing & Stropping within the Rolls System & to protect the edge when you sit the razor down..Good to hear how you get on..Remember there is an SE & Injector Party Thread.. They are Awesome..:D

DaltonGang likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

From what I remember, it was fun, but noisy. I had to use it while keeping the angle almost flat. It's easy to dial in. If I had a broken razor, I would make one of these, just for fun, and to dare friends to use it.

Billyfergie likes this.