No Safety Bar? who's brave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

We'll have to agree to disagree, both on technique and what I see in those pics. Thank you for an honest and sincere argument. We have effectively presented both ideas, and it will be up to the readers as to what really works.

Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hey, just try it for fun, then decide for yourselves. Can't go through life totally pragmatic.
    Think of this like taking the training wheels off of a kids bike. Remember how much fun that was as a kid? Same thing with the first shave using a Devette.

PLANofMAN, Bama Samurai and vmarks like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Trying to sharpen modern thin stainless blades in something that was designed for thick carbon steel blades is indeed an exercise in futility.

Billyfergie and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

That was written when thick carbon steel blades were the only blades.

Sharpening DE blades was always a falsity.

Sent from my mobile device

Bama Samurai and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

DEvettes tomorrow?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Stropping them was a falsity. I'll still stick to the belief that they can be sharpened...At least with a shake sharp razor.

That will teach me to actually read the article before I open my yap, eh?
    Sure.

7. Bama Samurai

DIY DEvette - 28 June 2016

image.jpeg

I just treated this an SR shave, full stretches for each stroke, and rode the cap to a two-pass (WTG then ATG) irritation-free DFS. Alum was cool, Osage was cold, face is fresh and smooth for dinner out with Mrs. Samurai.

Have a nice evening.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As you know, I do use a str8, so I know all about extra caution. I could see myself, though, using that, lapsing into DE autopilot and things getting ugly.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

I neither encourage nor discourage DEvette usage. It ain't for everybody, and it requires intense concentration!

10. Bama Samurai

Technique.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mine has a wimp out side
    [​IMG]
    And a wicked side.
    [​IMG]

12. Bama Samurai

Spice of life!

13. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

I've probably got a long comb I could do that to. I was going to braze a bar on one side of it...

14. Bama Samurai

How my DEvette came to be:

The razor is a Utopia, brass handle, Zinc alloy head. The threads on the head are corroded (bad plating? zamak pest?) and the head has reached the end of its service life. Four well placed snips with a side cutter, we have DEvette, at least until the corrosion kills it off. I saw the write up of Barbe Bleu, and since I am competent with a straight razor, just decided to see what DEvette was like. I'd never do this daily, but it was a fun exercise.

15. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

It is possible to seal the zamak with gunkote and prevent the corrosion.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  16. Bama Samurai

Nice tip!

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ah, yes, but technique is technique, be it good technique or bad technique.

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

"Techniques trump tools"has both negative and positive implication.

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I made one of these in May too! I took a cheap OC and cut the comb off one side after seeing @mrchick's razor. Got an amazing shave. I am normally an SR shaver, and get a more comfortable shave when I can adjust the angle to where I like it, which is past what the safety bars on most safety razors allow. Making this half-safe razor and using it made me realize how much I depend on getting the angle right to get a comfortable shave.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I must be a whimp.:ashamed001: I found the DEvette worked ok if I shaved everyday and took my time, but if I skipped a day or rushed it gave me a horrible shave!! Besides not being comfortable it took way to much effort and concentration not to maul my face.:( I guess I just need the ease, comfort and speed my safety bars provide. While I'm certainly glad I tried the DEvette it now resides safely tucked away with the SR, shavette collection. :)
    I'm never going to leave my Stahly Live Blade head again :happy097:

Bama Samurai and Carbide Mike like this.