No Variation November - A TSD Challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 23, 2015.

?

Can you stick to one kit for 30 Days?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2015.
  1. Yes! I can do anything for a month!

28.9%
  2. No. I like variety too much.

35.6%
  3. Hah!! I see right through this, Samurai is promoting 30 Day Rules!!

20.0%
  4. I am just here for the cookies.

15.6%
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I look forward to putting a lot of use to my Clubman products, as they seem to work better for me in colder weather. I'll still have my Rise stuff as well, of course. With the loooong winters here, both brands will surely come in handy.

2. Paul Turner

Roseanne's old man was quite the talent.

Rufus T., Jayaruh and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Cher really broke down in her TV reaction to Sonny's death. With all she's done since, I'm glad she could remember the good times.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

October was a blade focus for me where I tried 11 different blades in the same razor. This month is all one razor. I look forward to using many razors in December.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Day 22
    [​IMG]

Day four on the Chick blade and it was as good as the first. Two pass DFS, no touch ups req'd. Finished with CC North and L'Occitane Cade for a perfect afternoon of football.

6. Paul Turner

Since Harvard beat Yale yesterday, Saturday was my perfect afternoon for feetball :). But, nice shave description, Hodge.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If you ever change your mind, just PM me. Anthing I have would be a PIF.

Rufus T. and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to using this route 66 soap! It smells amazing and from what I've read performs great too.

Rufus T., wristwatchb and Bosoxfan like this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Me too.....I think I may not use the same razor twice in December.:D

10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Saturday was hockey for me. My Canucks beat up on the Blackhawks bad........

Rufus T., Joef and Paul Turner like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would like to go back to using my Weber or one of my ATT Razors. More than likely I will use my Schick Hydro 5 Razor. More likely to try that one for a change, It has almost the same features of my Gillette Pro-Glide Fusion.

wristwatchb and Bosoxfan like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

NoVember 22, 2015 Shave Den Sunday

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448231392.316061.jpg

Hot Shower
    Soap: TSD Unscented
    Brush: Omega 31025 Scarlatti Boar
    Razor: Mongoose B3
    Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (1)
    TSD Witch Hazel
    TSD Aftershave Milk
    TSD Yin Yang

2-day growth, 3-pass shave.

Continued focus on the new Mongoose. Smooth skin all around except for a bit of trouble around my mouth with a couple of nicks.

Cheers!
    RT

14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I fell off the wagon a week ago when I introduced the shavette to the mix. Everything else stayed the same including the Super Speed. I just started using the shavette for the first pass but this evening I'll be slowly adding more shavette and using less Superspeed. Next month I'll be using straights and a rolls razor. I'm working the shavette up as a muscle memory exercise. The motions are the same so I'm getting some extra practice in before next month.

15. obturador

obturador Active Member

Shave 10

Waited 3 days to shave again and I have to say I had a wonderful shave. Did three passes 1 with and 2 cross in opposite directions. alum told me I might have over done it a bit but there is no irritation that I can see.

I guess based on the alum feed back I need to do less during my clean up pass.

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    Posting about my shave last night. Mainly making observations. I will start with the razor
    Razor
    ER 1912. This is a fantastic shaver. I can get DFS and BBS with my 3 pass shave almost every time. With a newer blade 4 shaves or less I can go a true ATG on the upper lip. This is a very noisy razor. This is a good thing. It really lets you know when you have your angle right. When keeping a very light grip on the razor you can feel the head follow your face. The design of this razor seems to me to have a very slight spring effect. Meaning it moves ever so slightly with your contours. This is almost unperceived. The balance is pretty nice I tend to grip it a bit low on the handle. This razor is a keeper.

Blade.
    I am using the GEM SS this month. I find that it shaves great right out of the gate. I hand strop the blade before each use. I give it a good 20 strokes. I find this blade to be very smooth on my face. I can get 4 great shaves from this blade. The 5th shave I can feel the pull starting. Very manageable though. I only tried a 6th shave 1 time. Had to stop on the first pass on the 6th shave. It seems to go south very quickly. 5 3 pass shaves is perfect for me. Next month I will be trying the Carbon blades in the same razor to see how they compare.

Cream
    AOS Sandalwood This is some very nice stuff. It makes a great lather and has a very nice scent. I mainly only used soaps up until this point. I like the cream so much that I placed an order with TSD for some of their creams to try.

Brush
    WD synthetic mounted to my 3D designed and printed handle. I will start with the handle. I am pleasantly surprised as to how comfortable the handle is to hold and operate. Being printed and still with the rough type finish gives fantastic grip. Now for the WD synthetic Knot. This is a lather making machine. It almost instantly starts whipping up great amounts of lather. The brush is a bit softer than I really like. I like the more scrithcy brush. I really like the more aggressive feeling on my face when lathering. That being said the WD share lays down a beautiful even coat of lather when painting your face. I have 2 more of my brush handles that I will be mounting WD knots into later this week. Boar and Black pure Badger.

I will be finishing the rest of the month with this same setup. I just wanted to post a summery so to speak right now as this is all fresh in my mind.
    This has been a fantastic learning experience for me. I will be doing more 30 day focuses in the future.

Bama thank you for keeping an eye on all of us.

Tom

Bama Samurai, Hodge, Bosoxfan and 7 others like this.
  17. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Merkur 39c
    Personna reds
    Wsp formula t
    Wsp pure badger
    Alum
    Cc bay rum
    Seems that the personna is great on shaves 2 through 5.
    First shave is always rough, wish I could skip that one....but overall a descent shave, not too much sting from the alum. The cc was a little warmer than usual though.
    Can't wait for the second she with this blade.
    Have a great week everyone!

Bama Samurai, Hodge, Bosoxfan and 6 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've come into four five razors that I will want to try out. Then there is the Jayaruh#30RS I have to break in and the three soap samples that Ed (@Redrock ) sent me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Bama Samurai, Hodge, Bosoxfan and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

replying to my own post...and Roseanne ain't so bad herself.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 23

Feather Artist Club SS
    Feather Professional (6)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Three passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and CC Bay Rum

Goals
    Further develop my two-pass shave technique by practicing the basics
    Break in and get more experience with the Semogue 830
    Get more experience with MdC

This was my first three-pass shave (WTG, ATG, ATG) shave during the November focus. I'm near BBS in most areas and DFS+ around my mouth and chin. I missed one little patch on my chin. The Alum and CC Bay Rum were a little warmer than usual. All things considered, it was a great Monday morning shave. I satisfied my curiosity, and I'll return to two-pass shaves tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving week!

SOTD_112315.JPG