No Variation November - A TSD Challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 23, 2015.

?

Can you stick to one kit for 30 Days?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2015.
  1. Yes! I can do anything for a month!

28.9%
  2. No. I like variety too much.

35.6%
  3. Hah!! I see right through this, Samurai is promoting 30 Day Rules!!

20.0%
  4. I am just here for the cookies.

15.6%
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Monday's

[​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip
    Gillette Super Adjustable (new blade)
    Astra Super Platinum
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva AS​

The Tabac Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip brush. Two passes with my Gillette Super Adjustable razor and an Astra Super Platinum blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Twenty-third shave of No Variation NoVember.
    [​IMG]

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Kris&Rita probably sounded better than the original artist(forgot her name).

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

If I did that, I'd have to buy 3 10-packs of the Sensor 2 DisposeABLEs. (Of course some put in 2 extra for free).

Bama Samurai and Hodge like this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I've had stuff piling up all month and it was driving me crazy until I put it away in the bottom drawer in the den so that i dont look at it and tempt myself.:kar:
    If my Mongoose gets here before the end of November, all bets are off though....

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Forgot to post several shaves over here, but will post the last couple.

November 22

Razor – 1974 Gillette SS
    Blade – GSB
    Brush – AOS Badger
    Soap – Gada Cool Mint shave cream
    Post - Cold water splash, Witch Hazel and Aqua Velva

I think I have finally figured this razor and blade combo out. It requires my usual 2 passes of WTG on cheeks, XTG on chin and neck, and then ATG everywhere for the second pass. I then have no choice but to do some J hooking around the Adam's apple, which I will call touch-up though it really is closer to another whole pass in that area. The chin with some buffing and really paying attention on the ATG pass to go slow and deliberate has come together as well! Ended today with BBS as declared by my fiancee and I agree. The shave held up for about 8 hours, which is the best I can get from this razor.

Got a few more shaves with this razor and then it will probably be used only around my birthday as I have several others I enjoy using more and this one really was only bought because it is my birth year and quarter razor.

6. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

November 23

Razor – 1974 Gillette SS
    Blade – GSB
    Brush – AOS Badger
    Soap – Gada Cool Mint shave cream
    Post - Cold water splash, Witch Hazel and TSD ISZ

[​IMG]

Another good shave today. Getting really antsy to move on and struggling to stay in the no variation. Mainly because I have several razors that I have never used, a new Stirling Kong (more on that in a minute), and several new soaps to try!

The razor and blade combo really likes the extra effort on the neck and chin to get a DFS+ or BBS shave. Today I believe it is just shy of BBS and I did not feel like chasing. I ended up with no irritation at all, which was definitely worth not chasing the baby!

I have been using this AOS Badger (fine badger I believe) so far this month. I can get a good lather out of it, just like I could the VDH boar. The difference is the AOS just has no backbone. This thing is soft as it can be on your face, but it just flops everywhere. I have no trouble making the lather, and no trouble distributing it on my face. I just am not sure about the way it feels on my face. I guess I am liking a little more stiffness and all after having started with the boar. I am going to finish out the month and then plan to use my new Stirling Kong for a month to see how it compares. Just running my fingers through the knot definitely seems like the Stirling has more backbone than the AOS. Definitely looking forward to giving the Kong a go next month!!

dscaver, Hodge, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 23 - No Variation November!

image.jpeg

Utopia 3-piece
    Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Proraso Red
    Alum
    Osage Rub (face and scalp)

Finally changed out the blade, didn't have to, but did. Turns out a day one GSB is both way sharper and more harsh than a day 22 GSB. That being said, the sharp blade and the Proraso made quick work of it for a two pass near-BBS with zero irritation. Alum was quiet, Osage was Osage. I am proud to say I have no official responsibilities until Monday and plan on a relaxing holiday weekend. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Tuesday!
    :)

8. Bosoxfan

Bosoxfan Active Member

Well that was awesome shaving as long as you did with that one blade. Nice work.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Planned Day 24
    [​IMG]
    Im thinking I might try to make the rest of the month on this Chick blade. Tuesday will be day 6 and no signs of slowing down.

wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Thanks, I actually just got bored and changed. I think 30 was a possibility...

wristwatchb and Bosoxfan like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

12-14 shaves is pretty average on my injector blades.

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I cant remember but I think 10 or 11 was as long as Ive went on one blade....

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday's

[​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip
    Gillette Super Adjustable
    Astra Super Platinum
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva AS​

The Tabac Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip brush. Two passes with my Gillette Super Adjustable razor and an Astra Super Platinum blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Twenty-fourth shave of No Variation NoVember.
    [​IMG]

14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm going to grab another brush. The Vie-Long is a wonderful brush but with the new winter beard, face lathering is a bit of a problem. I'm using my bowl and I think that a synthetic or a badger may do a little better, not the the VL isn't doing fine.

Bosoxfan, wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  15. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

November 24, 2015
    No Variation NoVember
    This month is perfect for me to learn skills with new-to-me equipment.

Razor: Mongoose B3
    Blades: Feather Artist Club Professional (3)
    Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna
    Brush: Omega 31025 Scarlatti Boar
    AS: Changes at will. Today: Myrsol Blue

11-2-15.JPG

Two-pass shave. (XTG, ATG) Face-lather.

I think I’m getting there with this razor / blade combo.

I think the learning curve has been a long one (for me) due to this being a razor unlike any I’ve ever shaved with (weight, size, etc.) PLUS the combination with this blade (first time using a Feather of any kind, and the AC Pro is unforgivingly sharp).

I’ve had some blood-letting, as recently as yesterday, but all those events, combined with a good deal of advice from around here, has made me understand this combo much better and wised me up for the specific things I need to be ever-aware of.

Today was the best shave so far. BBS on 95% of my face. Holidays will affect my routine, but I think all I need now is repetition.

Cheers!
    RT

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    dscaver, mrchick, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Not a problem since I am not inclined to serve under anyone. Sith Lords do not serve, and any notion of the opposite is bound to be a misunderstanding. :)

Besides, I have tried the "Cat-O-Nine Tails" from that choosy Captain, and since it had very little sting to it, I am sure I would be fine.

mrchick and Boojum1 like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Planned Day - 24 November 2015

No Variation November!

image.jpeg

Utopia 3-piece
    Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Proraso Red
    Alum
    TSD ISZ AS Splash under Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
    :)

dscaver, Hodge, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 24

Feather Artist Club SS
    Feather Professional (7)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine L'Orange Noir

Goals
    Further develop my two-pass shave technique by practicing the basics
    Break in and get more experience with the Semogue 830
    Get more experience with MdC

Two passes (WTG and ATG) plus a few touch-ups this morning, and I'm near BBS. I'm having more fun each day with the Feather AC as I continue to develop my skills. A new blade tomorrow and six more shaves until I wrap up my November focus.

Happy Thanksgiving week!

SOTD_112415.JPG

dscaver, Hodge, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448418602.043351.jpg
    Another fantastic shave tonight with this setup. I did draw blood for the first time. I tiny nick on my adams apple.
    Just another observation with this razor. When i am shaving i find i get the best results when i leave my face totally relaxed. I do not try to tighten anything. I will just move my head around to get the best angle. I will need to check this out next month when i FINALLY get to use different razors.

Tom

20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday's

[​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip
    Gillette Super Adjustable
    Astra Super Platinum
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva AS​

Twenty-fifth shave of No Variation NoVember.
    [​IMG]

dscaver, Hodge, mrchick and 2 others like this.