Nominate Blades #4 and #5

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 19, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

I'm fairly well satisfied with the following blades (in no particular order): Gillette Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue and Wizamet Super Iridium.

Being the cautious type and wanting to hedge my supplies against future shortages/outrageous price hikes, I'ld like to add two additional blades to my lineup. Maybe something smoother and/long-lasting? Cheaper?

Proud owner of old-man-gray beard, course and dense.

I don't mind trial and error (working my way through blade samplers) but have more faith in the expertise residing here.

Thanks Folks. Truly appreciate any help.

Enrico and brit like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome!

I advocate sticking with the same set up (pick a razor, brush, brand of soap or cream, and brand of blade and go with it) until your technique is solid and repeatable. Then most any blade and razor will shave fine, and you can buy whatever appeals to you.

Have fun! :)

Herm2502, Bill G, swarden43 and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Sound advice.

Herm2502, Bill G, TheBurgh and 2 others like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Lots of good choices from Egypt and India to try

brit likes this.
  5. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Right now I'm checking out Wilkinson Sword blades myself. Did not know until I started researching they are currently made in 3 different geographical locations (India, Germany, and China) and prices vary widely. Though the Bay is notorious for false advertising or vendors who just don't know better I'm also surprised several reputable vendors also are not aware which one is which or where they come from. Literally a minefield if you don't pay attention. Hope to have a decision this week.

6. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

How one reacts to a particular blade is too unpredictable for making generalizations and recommendations. It is easy and inexpensive to try a wide variety, and that is the only way to really know how your skin reacts. I tried several excellent blades; most felt about the same, some left a face full of weepers. A couple whispered love sonnets to my inner being. I stockpiled 250 of each of those, and now I don't have to think about blades for at least 10 years. (Incidentally, Nacet and Wizamet happen to be two of my shaving soul mates).

MoAllen likes this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

A blade sampler with a variety of blades from different manufacturers and different countries is still the best advice.

Having said that, some DE blades that have worked well for me would include:

U.S. Personna - made by Accutec (Lab Blues and Med Preps)
    German Wilkinson Sword
    Derby Premium
    Shark Super Stainless
    Kai

brit likes this.
  8. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

A special shout-out thank you, analog, for the excellent sources.
    Your advice is worth seeing twice!

analog likes this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I only use organic blades.

I kid. I kid.

Egypt makes good blades.

swarden43 likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

if you like gillettes the 70clock black and green from India are excellent.

Enrico likes this.
  11. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

You and I have similar blade taste

7 o'clock green super stainless
    GSB
    Wizamet

In that order. These 3 blades refuse to irritate my face. Especially the greens...although the 7 o'clock greens take a couple shaves to "smooth out". However, once they do it'll last me roughly 7 shaves as opposed to just the 3 the other two provide.

brit likes this.
  12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Still no love for Bic blades!

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

7 O'clock's are very good ..... personally any color are nice.

:eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Astra SP (green) and Personna blue are a couple of my favorites, in addition to a couple you already use.