non tallow tabac?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Glondus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ummm … people have posted photos of the new ingredients list online. Seems valid enough to me.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You are correct. :)
    Unfortunately sarcasm and facetiousness don't carry well in print. ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Michael_W likes this.
  3. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Back in August I ordered a bowl of original and a puck of the reformulated vegan Tabac. The new formula, top puck in photo, is much lighter than the original. Scent strength right off the puck is stronger on the new, but it lacks the "Aunt Elsie's purse" scent. The new scent is not as complex, lighter, with a tinge of something medicinal.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 12.57.21 PM.png
    I lathered up the "new" Tabac. The lather was very light, dry, and airy. I added a good amount of water to hydrate, but it never reached the creaminess of real Tabac. Scent level decreased dramatically when lathered.

For me, the joy of Tabac is the scent. I sincerely hoped the new formulation would match, but it does not come close.

As to performance, the new falls short as well. I have always found original Tabac feels dry by the end of a pass. The new accelerates the drying effect.

4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Light, airy lather doesn't need more water. It needs more soap. If you don't load enough at the start, then nothing you do after will help.

Tedolph and ewk like this.
  5. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

So far I have only used it that once, and I treated it like old Tabac. That was probably a mistake on my part as this is a new formulation. With one active puck, an original backup, it is going to be a long time before I get to this new formulation puck :)

Frijolero likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No mistake. You had to treat it somehow. Makes sense to try what you know first.
    And now you know it's not the same and you'll have to adjust your attack. :happy088::happy088:

7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Snagged a couple of tallow shave sticks from the forest site (Bozo's), and they are the tallow version. I got a pair of what I hope are tallow pucks from the auction site; the back of the box showed the tallow-based formula. But if anybody has an extra puck or two, I'll trade you for the vegetarian pucks, one or both.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.