Noob frustration

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stu929, May 30, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

First off my setup

SS flare with C.O. Bigelow shave cream, witch hazel splash afterwards.

So here I am about 2 months in and so looking forward to working my way through my sample blade set from TryABlade and Im finding frustration as much as fulfillment.

First blade I tried was from the grocery store was Gillette Platnium Plus and I'll be honest I liked them. I took my time and I think in the 4 I used I only nicked myself 1 time and that was attempting a 4th shave. Blade had become a bit dull, lesson learned and we move on.

Next came Astra SP, very sharp the first shave had a few weepers but very close shave. Second shave I think was actaully better than the first, third shave went fine but Isaid don't push it any further swap the blade after the 3rd and I did. Second SP blade I used was similar..... smooth, not to rough on the face. Wife even tried it and liked it.

Next a blade I was very much looking forward to trying... Vokshods... first shave went rough... felt like I was shaving with sandpaper. Wife tried it as well and asked me afterwards if I had changed the blade (I didnt tell her) but she said felt like more effort needed and pressure, I would mirror her statements. First time since switching to DE I would say I felt a lot of burn and my face was on fire with Witch Hazel after finishing. Tonight I tried to use the Vokshod a second time and tugging and rough feel again. Got 2 long swipes through and decided I had to change the blade. Upon taking it out of the razor I noticed it had already started to rust, this is a first for me as I had used it sat night for the first time and it was already rusting today.

Finally I decided I would try a personna blue lab as I have seen many favorable reviews and it plowed through my 2 day beard and was extremely smooth and efficient. Given the roughness of the first 2 swipes of the Vokshod this was a very pleasant surprise as I was worried my face would end up like hamburger. Essentially a 2-2.5 WTG/ATG plus some clean up for a very smooth almost no irritation shave. ( the small spot of irritation was where I started with the Voshkod before switching)

So this brings me to the questions I have so far. Vokshods ? What am I doing wrong? Rusting after the first use? I know I've heard improve your method for longer blade life and Im sure I have much to improve but the combo of my method and beard 3 shaves seems to be where I'm at. Im hoping the Blue Labs keep going strong as tonights shave was possibly the best one I've had yet.

Just curious of your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Demidog, LOOT, Pilotcld and 2 others like this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, Voskhod's are not for everyone. I didn't like them either. There are lots of other excellent Russian blades. Try a different one. It sounds like those Voskhod are inferior or defective. I would pass them by if you can. It sounds like you have the situation well in hand. Keep on truckin'! Good luck.

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I had bad luck with Voskhods as well. One thing I can say - NO MORE PRESSURE. You shouldn't need any more pressure than it takes to rest the cap of the razor against your face. If you're trying to push, you have to stop.

Rapira Platinum Lux - good. Nacet - good. Voskhod - not good. Pick one of the other blades, like Astra, and work with it for a while longer. It sounds like you need more practice before doing more blade shuffling. At least you're not trying to blade AND razor shuffle :)

Demidog, RyX, Stu929 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Trust me I had not planned to use any pressure. But the first 2 or 3 swipes down were only netting 1/2 of the hair. Tweeked the angle with no improvement. In retrospect still shouldnt have added any pressure but even with it the shave sucked to say the least. Ill set aside the other 2 Vokshod blades I have for another time but if the Blues continue like they did tonight it may be hard to pry me away!

I do have a black beauty and a tech in the wings but so far I do love my flare. Eventually I'll trade for a Fatboy or find one locally but only time will tell.

RyX likes this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I am not going to say this was the case but I have found that any blade can have a defect from the factory. I would possibly try another blade, possibly from a different tuck.

RyX and Stu929 like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You've gotten some good advice so far. Here are my thoughts. If the Voskie's are not working, it's time to move on. There is plenty of Russian steel out there to try. Enjoy.

LOOT, RyX and Stu929 like this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I only have the 1 tuck (of each blade) I ordered from try a blade and split that with a buddy. Ill let the rest sit for a little while and come back to it. Given the shave I got from Personna and Astra so far I may be a moot point. Would love to get an extra shave or too but it isnt the end of the world as both are pretty cheap. I figured 5 of each would be enough to get a general idea of the blade. Just happened a buddy was curious and I gifted him a flare and some blades to try as well.

LOOT and RyX like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Keep at it, things will improve.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't toss those unused Voskhod. Set them aside and go with the blades that give you comfort and reduction. Your technique may undergo subtle improvements during your early learning period. Six months, a year later when your skills are solid and you have put in time on other razors, try them again. They may work better or they might never be for you, but you'll have more experience and wisdom.

Demidog, Stu929 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thats the plan! They are going back in the package as I have a bunch to still work through. Rapira, Gillette Blue, 7 Oclock, etc.

Any thoughts on the rusting?

RyX likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Stainless steel can rust, but usually it requires exposure to chlorine or salt (sodium chloride) to happen in a short period of time. Did you buy a couple of Carbon blades?

RyX likes this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I dont believe anything I got was carbon.

GSB, 7 Oclocks, personna red and blue, astra sp and ss, polisilver SI, 2 different rapira I believe. Sadly didnt grab wilkisons to try but Im confident Ill find a few winners in my selections.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

What @Bookworm said, plus moisture. Store your blades in a dry cool place. Doesn't hurt to keep a silicone dry pack in the box/container to draw off humidity.

Pilotcld likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Voskies didn't impress me nor did Personna Lab Blues. I like a blade a little on the sharper end and the rest of the blades that you list work very well for me.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Bookworm

Once I've either given away, or used up, more of my Cloud, Shark, Astra, and Derby - I'll order some Nacet and Rapira.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gillette Silver Blue, try Voskhod in a few months.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  18. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Interesting. I like the Vos

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk