Noobie on Deck! WoOt WoOt!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by FacialCarnage, Jan 6, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I am new to De Razor shaving. I switched to using a safety razor because I was tired of paying $17 for three cartridges of disposable razors that do not last long or give a great shave. My father owns a jewelery store that has been in our family for four generations now that I work at and manage. Being well kept and smelling good is very important to me, as I am always dealing with the public. Honestly, I cannot ever remember being this excited about a hobby. There really is something Zen about taking a hot shower and wrapping a hot towel around your face with all of your pre, during, and post shaving supplies in front of you.

After my first shave, my face looked like the newest release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D and I realized I should join a group of like-minded individuals for tips. I also wanted to be in contact with people who share the same enthuiasm as I do. I have very sensitive skin and when shaving with a cartridge razor I always get razor burn at the the lower right side of my neck and under my chin as well. I am hoping to eliminate this with a DE razor and the help of the fine Gents in this community. I have been using my two safety razors for about teo weeks now and each shave is getting better.

Below is a list of my shaving supplies...

2. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

3. FacialCarnage

Sorry, I am writing this from my smart pad and accidently posted. Here is a list of the shaving 'equipment' I am currently using. I will be using all of this until I am comfortable and have adjusted to the learning curve of DE razor shaving. This way I can find out which products if any are causing irritation and then adjust accordingly. I am looking to purchase a better razor, but I am on a small budget. I am wondering which combination you suggest for my skin type. Which razor and blade combo do you Gents think would work best for someone with very sensitive skin and a few little problem areas?

2 de razors lord l6 & no name butterfly open
    Proraso pre shave cream with oatmeal etc (for sensitive skin, white tub)
    Derby blades
    Co Bigelo shaving crezm (green tube)
    Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
    Eucerin facial moisterizer (hypo allergenic)
    Styptic Pen (clubman)
    bloc osma alum block

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den. :)

FacialCarnage likes this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

:signs046: You came to the right place. From the looks of it, you have some nice gear. I would suggest a blade sampler pack. They sell them here on the TSD store. Derby's cause irritation for me and I have a sensitive skin similar to you. As you will see though, when it comes to razor blades, YMMV (Your Millage My Vary). So it is hard for anyone to tell you exactly which blade will work with your face and razor combination. Blades that are thought highly of include Astra SPs, Feathers, and Polsilver Super Iridium, along with many others. So if you grab a sampler (the bigger the variety the better) you can work your way through and see what works for you. Just an FYI, blades work differently in different razors, so you may want to stick to one razor for a little while until you get a solid month or so of shaving in.

6. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Welcome to The Den ;)

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD FacialCarnage......:)

I see like many of us here you came for the savings, but are going to stay for the shaves! We're glad your here and hope you enjoy this forum as much as we all do! You will find many people here that can help you with any problem or question you may have or just to talk shaving.....;)
    As for your razor/blade combo that will ultimately be decided by your face. The Lord razor isn't a bad start, I really like my Edwin Jagger 89 shave head, its a nice moderate and efficient razor. I.M.O. the handle sucks (it's just to slippery for me with wet soapy hands) but thats easy to change. A Sabi T2, Parker 97 HD, Gillette Fat Handle tech and Durham Duplex handle will work wonders with an EJ shave head and all of these razor are good shavers in their own right. The Durham shave head however doesn't take normal DE blades.
    As for your blades I always suggest a large blade sampler pack, the more blades you can try the better chance of finding the blade/blades that best suit you. Other than that Time,Technique,Practice and Patience will see you through to the "BEST" shaves of your life.....:shaver

FacialCarnage and JRod22 like this.
  8. alan.b

alan.b New Member

welcome on board fellow dewbie I've been using a DE for a month odd & have completed my 2nd shave without blood loss, the secret is dont press the blade against the skin the weight of the razor against the skin should be enough to take the hairs off, thats I what I'm finding anyway...good luck & keep at it, youve come to the right site i've found loads of great advice from like minded people

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'd say just stick with one of the razors you've got for a little while and try some new blades. Derby's didn't agree with me all that well either but some people like them. Go for comfortable shaves at first. They'll get closer as your technique improves.

10. FacialCarnage

I must say it is a good feeling to be welcomed into a community. I will be looking into some of the razors listed. I love the old school smell and feel that some of these shaving products offer. I can already tell I will never be going back to cartridge shaving again. Is there any must have products out there? I am waiting for an order from amazon.com of Clubman el de portugal tonic that I cannot wait to try. I will be ordering a sample blade set also.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

13. FacialCarnage

Great idea, I will be putting the 30day test to use.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wonderful stuff right there, you reminded me I'm out.

Welcome!

15. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Welcome!

16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

17. FacialCarnage

Thanks fellas.

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to The Shave Den, FacialCarnage! It is good to hear that you are enjoying wetshaving so much.

19. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi and welcome to TSD. Happy Shavings!