Northeast snow storm

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Reformation Student, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

:mad: Can't stand cold and snow. Especially as much snow as we are getting right now: 12-16".

Everytime I feel like griping too much I remind myself of what Hyman Roth said to Michael Corleone (paraphrase): THIS is the area we have chosen :freezing

Doesn't help much but any excuse to use a Godfather movie reference is a good one :D

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

We wound up with 5-6" across the river from Philly.

I was up at 3 this morning to shovel the walk and dig out my truck and my wife's car. Fortunately the snow had stopped, it was dry and fluffy, and there was no wind. Took a little under an hour.

I like it in this area - not as hot as my in-laws get during the summer in Arkansas and not as cold as my parents get during the winter in Maine.
    All four seasons are pretty moderate.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am right there with you Steve. We haven't had a major blizzard since the 36" in 1997 and the ice hasn't been too bad around here in recent years.

Only got about 6" this morning and luckily it was dry, fluffy and didn't take long to dig out. I even made it to work on time. It stopped early enough that the plows were able to get everything pretty well situated bright and early.

4. Reformation Student

My kid's school closed so I'm home today playing Mr. Mom. That's a plus. It's always better than work :D

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would be pretty happy to be at home today also...

Enjoy the snow day.

6. Monty Smith

Monty Smith Member

Got about 6 or 7 inches at our house. Maybe 8. Took me about an hour and a half to dig the car out, clear the drive and sidewalks, the deck, and a spot for our dog to do what needs to be done.

As I get older the cold bothers me a little more than it once did, but brother I'll take cold weather over hot weather ANY day. And I really don't mind the snow at all, since removal is pretty fast and efficient in our neck of the woods.

7. Reformation Student

I need to find me a place that's 70F with little humidity all year long. Now that's the perfect spot for me.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That would be San Diego, California.

9. Reformation Student

I was afraid of that. Oh well, snow it is.

10. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

snow indeed...just dug all 3 cars out of 16." Or 2 1/2 feet, thanks to Mr. Plow!

Plus I don't normally bother with the mailbox but...how else is my shave stuff gonna get here!

so yeah we had a nice dump...let my rottweiler out this morning and he promptly sunk up to his neck, made a u-turn and swam back up the front porch and into the house.

11. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

I'm up in New Hampshire. Just finished shoveling out the mailbox for the second time because I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for a new brush that should arrive any day, and our mail lady is notorious for not delivering if there's snow in front of the boxes.

12. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

About 24 inches in my part of Connecticut. Getting into work this morning wasn't too much of a problem, except for the last stretch on an unlit, unplowed, winding narrow country road. I just made it to the gate, and got stuck there, left the car and went inside. Later when the plow came through on the road, I was able to back out into the road and follow him into the parking lot. Now I'm back home again. Everything's been plowed by now.

13. Reformation Student

Just finished shoveling around 18". Of course, where the plows went by, it ended up being more like 3 feet. Got the driveway, a path the the front porch for the mail person and a path to our back door. I'm sure it won't look like I touched it at all if the wind kicks up a bit and there ends up being a lot of drifting.

What I'm really afraid of is when it melts. My basement floods with a heavy rainstorm so I have an idea a lot of this will end up in my basement when it starts melting in March.

14. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Steve
    About your basement flooding. There is a pump on the market that activates automatically if it gets wet. I don't know how much it is though. Might be worth Googling as its a sort of set it and forget about it kind of pump.

Additional - I've quickly googled this http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/sump-pumps.html this is the sort of thing.
    Kristian

15. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

We got less than a foot in Buffalo. :)

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

80s out here

I'm getting high 70s low 80s out here.
    :happy069

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not for me. Anything over 65 starts getting too hot. As I said, I do like my four distinct season, none of which are too severe.

18. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

First place I thought of too. I love San Diego, but it's too expensive living there. Great place to visit though.

Only my second winter in the Denver area. Last year saw frequent storms with snow on the ground most of the winter. This year I've only had two storms at my place. When it's not storming the temps hang in around the 40's and 50's. The 0's and below temps do occur but they are infrequent and don't last. So far my experience is Denver has almost perfect winter weather. Enough snow to offer a wintery wonderland w/out the frigid temps. Perfect.

19. Reformation Student

Good to see you, my brother.

There is a retired engineer at my church who has the same problem with his basement as do I. He mentioned some product, the name of which escapes me now, that is like a rubber coating. He said he dug around the foundation of his house and sprayed or painted this stuff on. No more water since. I'm told it acts as a barrier and won't allow water to penetrate the rubber barrier. Then he used something called Dry Lok on his floor to stop water from rising up through the floor.

Wish I could remember the name of that product but next time I see him we are going to talk and he's supposed to come over and take a look at what he can do to help.

Thanks for that article. It's very helpful as I don't know what kind of pump I should get. I found it very informative. I'll also Google that other pump you talked about. I've a feeling I'm not going to be able to use that rubber product my friend mentioned so a good pump is going to be needed.

I have to email you. I've got an update on the job situtation at work.

20. Reformation Student

I really liked Springfield, MO. It had all 4 seasons, none too drastic and they somehow seemed better at snow removal than the local public works up here. Not that they got much snow.

Plus, being a Christian, I believe that God wants me in Rhode Island for some reason. So, until He sees fit to move me. Here I'll stay, shoveling, breathing heavy humidity in the summer and enjoying what there is to enjoy (RI does have some nice things about it), and looking to do His work.

Still hate snow. :D