Not a bad shave/blade.....yet

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leclec13, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I’ve only been wet shaving for a short time
    I have been trying range of blades in a range of razors.
    I still prefer straight razor, but also enjoy DE,SE

Lord super stainless
    Lord platinum class
    Shark super stainless
    Voskhod
    Astra SP
    Wilkinson Sword (India)
    Rapira lux
    Feather

I have more still to test/try

Along with a decent range of DE razors.... vintage Gillette’s, modern Merkur, West coast shaving, Razo rock, slants....even composite razors as old as a clix Bakelite.

I’ve come to the conclusion, so far, that my face, hair, shaving technique, razors, and blades tested have provided me all Fine shaves.... so far. Some BBS, most DFS, and rare DCS But never a bad shave. Short of 1 or 2 beginner shaves that were technique faults not equipment issue.

Part of me thinks I just have the hair and face that is compliant and easy and any blade/ razor will work.

Another part of me thinks I am Spoiled and all the gear I have tested is of a high enough quality that I haven’t had a bad shave.... yet.

I’m sure meticulous pre shave preparations, and constantly improving technique influence the good shave.

On my next DE shave I have decided to finally use the Dollar Tree Assured razor and blades. To see if I can get a bad shave. While it is no guarantee for a bad shave it is worth experimenting and experiencing. From a scientific perspective there needs to be failure or at best some negative results.

Curious about your “ bad shaves?”

AGHisBBS, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Razor is a razor, blade is a blade.
    As long as neither are defective, then it really don't matter that much. Sure, I have my favorites from a smoothness and longevity view.

Proper technique is better than any piece of equipment.
    I am still not convinced that prep makes all that much difference in the long run. I can see that cleaning the oils off ones face may help with the lather, I suspect it may help , however slightly, with the shave quality.

Once technique is mastered, you will soon learn that you can pick up just about anything and good a good shave with it.

I'll get those blades to you Wednesday.

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Got a couple of the dollar tree razors and blades. The blades were to dull for my whiskers. The razor with a better blade shaved great.

Good luck in your quest for a.......bad shave :eek: ??
    tp

AGHisBBS, Killerflyingbugs and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

had enough bad shaves with carts, enjoying the good ones with proper technique and great vintage gillettes..enjoy your adventure..:)

AGHisBBS and Killerflyingbugs like this.