Not another creation[emoji4]

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Mar 13, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Looking at your pictures. I just noticed something critical importance. The angled cap setup. The blade is not seated. The blade must be hanging up on the cap on the ends. It should seat just like the curved cap. You might need to shorten the ends on the standing sections on the cap. I fixed that issue on the curved cap before machining it.

Please check and report back. If you need any more guidance please let me know.

Tom

GAW9576, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Yes, I took the pictures before I filed the ribs. The blade completely seats. I’ll get new pics & post them.

GAW9576, RyX, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Second shave with the rounded cap. I did this shave at the shallowest angle I could. Surprisingly this shave was more harsh and I cut myself a few times than I did shaving it at a more steep angle. It seems these thinner blades grab and slice little cuts more easily at an almost flat angle than a more thicker blade. End result though was a super close BBS shave as good as the first shave at a steep angle. So shallow or steep angle doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference in how well the result is. It does make a difference in how to shave it. I wouldn't recommend shaving it this shallow or frankly as steep as it can be used unless your technique is developed enough or you plan to do it to develop better technique. An angle somewhere in between should be the happy medium for new to experienced wet shavers that do want to practice good technique or don't and drag and cut instead.

I will test this razor and cap tomorrow to see if that middle angle statement holds true or not.

GAW9576, RyX, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  4. dmshaver

Second shave today. Used just the beveled cap & a steeper angle, as BBS did in his first shave. Quite nice. Very audible, but it seemed more forgiving than when I used a shallow angle.

IMG_2624.jpg

RyX, Jayaruh, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I will be continuing testing in a day or so and the next shave will be the middle angle with the rounded cap and then from there the beveled cap. I did reverse the rounded cap and checked the blade exposure and gaps. Both sides are identical so no need for me to use the other side of the plate/cap to test. I'll comment more on the build once I am done shaving with the razor.

GAW9576, RyX, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. dmshaver

I changed the handle & used a Weber stainless-steel bulldog handle for tonights shave. This is the third shave in, & second using just the beveled cap. I'm wanting to use just one cap for several shaves to get it dialed in instead of just swapping between the two. This shave was very nice. The heavier handle helped me as I just guided the razor as it slid down my face. Quite smooth, used a steep angle again as this seems to be a smoother shave with a steep angle. Still a lot of audible feedback, which I don't mind. I'll use the beveled cap a couple more times then switch to the smooth cap. Thank you Tom!!!!!

Here's tonight's setup:
    3D printed razor with Weber bulldog handle
    Personna Red
    GD Bandwagon
    M&F #3 Finest
    Thayers
    Clubman
    IMG_2634.jpg

GAW9576, RyX, cliffb599 and 4 others like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Back to testing. 3rd shave with the rounded cap. I used a middle of the road angle. End result was a BBS finish but not as good as the first 2 shaves. Under the chin if I run my hand ATG I can still feel stubble something I didn't on the first 2 shaves. Either way the razor is a top performer and with this cap I would endorse continuing the pass around.

Next 2 shaves will be with the beveled cap unless there is any reason for more shaves afterwards I will await @twhite directions for where to ship it off to next.

RyX, Edison Carter, dmshaver and 4 others like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Awesome Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

10. dmshaver

I finished another shave with the beveled cap. I tried a middle of the road angle this time. Of the three angles I've tried, I like the steep angle most because there is less blade chatter & it seems least likely to bite. But all three shaves with this cap have provided a nice smooth shave. I'll probably do one more shave tomorrow with the beveled cap then write a review after that shave. Then on to the smooth cap. That is unless I'm taking too long with the razor & I need to get it on its way.

Here's what I used today:
    IMG_2637.jpg

GAW9576, RyX, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Keep on testing.

GAW9576 and dmshaver like this.
  12. dmshaver

Thank you, will do sir. I figure we're certainly giving it a good test drive.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First shave with the beveled cap. First off the bevel in the cap is the shallowest angle you can use the razor at. Anything shallower then it starts lifting the blade off the face. That is the angle I used it at. With the blade exposure this razor is a vicious S.O.B., I don't know if the extra exposure makes it more aggressive or the blade just chatters more. It doesn't make it more efficient than the rounded cap extra blade feel and all. I wasn't careful with the pressure and had quite a few weepers. With that said it was a BBS finish but not better than my best shave with the rounded cap. Next shave I'll take my time and keep to light pressure.

I do have some razors that are very close to this razor with the bevel cap. They both share the same amount if not more blade exposure and as such feel and shave similar. Those razors are a Gillette Goodwill 160 with the blade loaded asymmetrically and a Bohin loaded the same.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    GAW9576, RyX, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last shave using the beveled cap. After waiting 2 days to heal up a little bit from the other shave, I took all the lessons I learned from that first shave and applied them to this shave. I used light pressure and was super careful. That helped for the first 3 passes which included an XTG pass. On pass 4 which was an ATG even with light pressure I still nicked myself good a few times and that has everything to do with the bevel of the cap. The blade may have too much chatter also but whether that is the case or not you need a shallow angle to do an ATG pass especially with something this aggressive and it is not possible to do. I stopped there. Shave is close but not as good as the rounded cap shaves.

This cap I would endorse further testing since maybe a more skilled hand than mine or someone who skin stretches might be able to find a better way to use this for ATG. I also would endorse it on the merits of if you keep away from an ATG pass if you don't draw blood then you now know what light pressure means for this and most any razor.

I am not a handle type of guy, my take is a skilled hand can master any razor without using gravity or handle weight as long as they are physically able to do so. The only things I look for in a handle is ergonomics and grip and this handle is fine in both regards.

On the caps the rounded cap is perfectly fine to use the beveled cap proceed at your own risk. My thoughts on bevels is the more aggressive or exposure the flatter the bevel needs to be and vice versa. If the blade still chatters with that adjustment and increased exposure then it needs to be stiffened up something I think can be done adding a piece of spring steel to the cap and/or plate would solve. If you want an idea of what I am referring to see the Cooper adjustable.

I await instructions from @twhite on how to proceed and will take it from there.

GAW9576, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Send it to @stingraysrock

It sounds like the round cap is good to go. Buyer beware of beveled cap.

GAW9576, RyX, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That beveled cap I don't think the exposure is an issue just the angles you are limited to. Someone who is versed in using a shavette with double edge blades broke in half should be able to give some more detailed feedback on that cap as far as angle and potential technique adjustments.

GAW9576, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sweet!

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just noticed this thread. The angled cap makes the razor look like a Darwin, and the geometry is based on the TAR...

So wouldn't that make it a TARwin?

GAW9576, RyX, twhite and 4 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    GAW9576, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I just checked the tracking and see the razor was delivered yesterday. I will grab it from the mailbox tonight and shave with it tomorrow morning.

I have a couple days of growth so the shave will be a good comparison to my 2011 R41.

GAW9576, Jim99, Enrico and 3 others like this.