Not another creation[emoji4]

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Mar 13, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great. I am hoping it is as good as an R41. Looking forward to your thoughts.

GAW9576 and cliffb599 like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I will add some further input in a few days because I had an razor in mind that I think might be similar to this razor with the rounded cap but need to put in a shave with it first.

GAW9576, cliffb599 and twhite like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Friday-Eve From Florida!

I used the rounded cap because that is what my 2011 R41 has. The ? By Tom razor is not as aggressive as my daily driver, but delivered a 2-pass shave similar to my experience with the 2013 R41.

The only thing that I would change about Tom's creation here is that it be heftier, so I guess that means something other than aluminum construction. A heftier handle would solve this for me.

Who is next?

IMG_20200409_063734.jpg

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That would be @Jim99
    Jim you are up.

GAW9576 likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    GAW9576 likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Got it. This is going to be FUN.
    Thanks @ twhite & @dmshaver
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

GAW9576, dmshaver, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. cliffb599

Fresh out of The Shave Den.
    I started with the Beveled cap first.
    The angle came to me no problem.
    I choose the steep angle as my first shave. Definitely got a great 3 pass BBS.
    Just one weeper Operator Error small one.
    I think she shaves not as Smooth as my R41 lots of blade feel. She is Definitely Audible there’s no Mistaking that.
    I’m not used-to such a light razor.
    All in all I like it. I will keep the beveled cap on for a couple more test on Angle.
    [​IMG]

I should have Turned the razor around for a better Picture. Oh well
    Thank you. @twhite

GAW9576, Enrico, dmshaver and 2 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice!

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. cliffb599

Just a Quick Update.
    Another Great 3 Pass BBS Shave yesterday Evening.
    Didn’t do anything different kept the same angle. Seemed to work well.
    I did try a New Soap great soap scent and performance is Awesome.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576, Enrico, dmshaver and 3 others like this.
  12. cliffb599

Fresh out of The Shave Den.
    Another Great shave with the Beveled cap. 3 Pass BBS.
    For my Next Shave I will use the Smooth cap ( round ) and a new Blade.
    I’m really Smitten with this Razor &
    I’m Also Smitten with this New Soap.
    It’s also Tabac Tuesday so I had to toss in at least the Aftershave.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576, Enrico and twhite like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The ? By Tom razors safely arrived this morning! More to come.

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You got the name right. It is unpronounceable just like. The artist formally known as Prine

GAW9576, Jim99 and brit like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had my second shave with the ? By Tom this morning and... wait! Second shave? To be honest with everyone, I woke up from a dream shortly after midnight. I dreamt about this razor! Crazy, right? We were calling it the 112. Why? I don’t really know. It was a dream. Something about one handle, one baseplate and two caps. Again, it was a dream... with Tom in it! Don’t worry, Tom. We only talked about the razor.

Back to reality.... I decided to go with the rounded cap first, along with a fresh Personna lab blue. It took me a minute to get the hang of loading the blade as it’s a tight fit getting blade, baseplate and cap properly seated. I loaded and unloaded the blade a few times to get the hang of it. Once loaded, I whipped up a nice lather with some TOBS and a Semogue boar brush and went at it.

The razor feels light and nimble, and easily gets around the nose and chin. The razor has a nice balance, with a little less than 1/3 the way down the handle being the balance point. I applied absolutely no pressure at first as I wanted to get a feel for the aggressiveness. The first pass was smooth and comfortable, with a little audio feedback with each stroke. The second pass was equally smooth, with no nicks, cuts or weepers. There is some blade feel with this razor, but in a good way. However, I suspect that it would bite if I didn’t pay it any attention. Respect the blade!

After two passes, I rinsed my face and realized I had a DFS+++. Fantastic! A quick splash of my Aqua Velva musk reminded me of just how close a shave I had. The burn was definitely more than the usual.

I was intrigued by the length of the handle, so before I wrapped up, I compared it to a couple of other razors in the den. It’s longer than my EJ 89bl and shorter than my Gillette 109 SA. I like the length and thickness of the handle and it provides a good grip. The finish is a satin aluminum and seems easy enough to maintain. I could picture this razor in a choice of colors... blue, red, gunmetal gray, black, etc.

One shave in and I’m quite impressed with the ?/112! I’ll use the rounded cap one more day and then move on to the beveled cap.

Tom, it’s another great creation!

758D8FEE-9546-42C1-ADC3-C5B887747656.jpeg

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shave #2 is in the books with the ? by Tom, and what a nice shave it was!

This razor is so efficient that two passes is all you’ll ever need to do. One with and one against. It’ll mow down the toughest whiskers with ease.

This is a light razor, but I do like the weight and balance. I would not recommend any pressure when using it, and it’s not needed anyway.

This razor is just crazy efficient! 12 hour later and I’m now beginning to feel some growth. Note that I have experienced ZERO irritation.

I have been thinking about another razor in my den to compare it to, but I really cannot think of another DE that is similar. Efficiency wise, maybe the Game Changer 84. Blade feel, it’s more like a fatboy on 8, or like a Gem micromatic.

During this morning’s shave, I was thinking what if this were my only razor. Hmmm... Yeah, I would be just fine!

FBA3CE0F-CBF2-47A3-A502-5FEDEE8FFA83.jpeg

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ll move on to the beveled cap tomorrow. I can’t wait!

GAW9576, twhite and cliffb599 like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I switched over to the beveled cap on the ? this morning and had a very nice shave.

It’s like night and day between these two caps. I was a bit concerned when I saw the gap and the amount of blade exposure. That fear faded quickly after the first pass.

Loading the blade took some fidgeting, but not too big a deal. Looks like the whatchamacallits is just slightly too big for the Personna blades, so it’s not a drop in, screw down and shave affair. Again, not a big deal, just an observation.

As far as the angle goes, just follow the bevel on the cap and you’re fine. It’s the best angle to use with this cap as far as I’m concerned.

The shave was simply amazing. The first pass was so good that I could have stopped there. The second pass pretty much left me BBS. Not a hair was missed. No irritation, cuts, nicks or weepers!

I did note what appeared to be blade chatter. With all of that blade sticking out, it shouldn’t be unexpected. It didn’t impact the shave much, if at all. However, between the the two caps, the rounded one provides a much smoother shave, with the beveled cap providing the closer shave.

Tom, I really like your creations. They’re fantastic! When can I get one for my den?

I’ll do one more shave with the razor tomorrow, and then out it goes to the next lucky participant. Who’s next? for the ?
    FD526C26-C178-4912-BBA7-55895F28E29A.jpeg

GAW9576 likes this.
  19. cliffb599

Another great BBS Shave this Morning.
    I used the smooth Cap with a Personna 74 and Sterling Hipster Soap & Aftershave.
    Like I stated was a Super Shave 3 Pass
    BBS. keep a shallow angle. No weepers no Irritation what so Ever.
    I really like this ? By Tom Razor.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

GAW9576 likes this.