Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m in for that as well. Sounds like fun.

Drygulch, RyX, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Verify away

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes, I do have a plan for NOVember. No, I can't start it yet due to one particular item being stuck on a slow boat between Moscow and New York. I actually have two pieces to the puzzle still on the way but one isn't critical to make it happen. I didn't count on a longer than usual transit time across the big pond. Soooooo.....my main NOVember plans are on hold until everything is within these four walls.

In the meantime, I'm going to join @RyX in focusing on my Futur clone. I've used it just enough to know it's different and fun so a few days or more with it should help me dial it in and get up to speed with it. He has the Ming Shi, mine is the Qshave. The difference? One starts with M, the other with Q. Well, ok, actually they're both Chinese made and are almost the same weight. Ming Shi is 97 grams, Qshave is 100. Both claim 4" handles and 4.5" length overall. Close enough when I measured mine. Compared to the real Futur they are lighter by 22-25 grams and are about the same otherwise.

The Qshave comes with its own branded blades, and the package on the blades says they are made in the USA. I'm intrigued and trying to find out exactly where. I haven't tried one of the Qshave blades yet but.....why not......it will be the first blade I use this month in the razor. If it sucks I'll switch out to something I know and trust. However, I'm going to use non-Russian blades during the time I"m using the Qshave.

I'm looking forward to comparing notes between the razors with Rick and it should be a fun way to start the month! Who knows......if they delay my other stuff long enough this may become a month long thing.

Qshave November.jpg

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 12 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

When you hear banjos, paddle faster!

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 9 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You guys can do the buddy system.

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 6 others like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

There's a scary thought...

The English language already has a reputation for the fact that it does not borrow from other languages. Rather, it drags them into an alley and mugs them. By extension, American English (or 'Merican) must just completely conquer and subjugate other languages by a process of Linguistic Manifest Destiny.

:)

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

One might say that that would be just Marvy. :)

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 1, 2017
    Colonial Razors General
    Feather Super Pro (1)
    Doug Korn DK7 with Druida Manchurian
    Nuàvia Rossa

[​IMG]

Up first for Nuavia November is Rossa. The scent is a complex mix of Tobacco and Cedarwood over a base of Sandalwood and Amber. I find the soap to be very easy to lather with good slickness and protection. However the real start is the scent. Two passes and touch ups left me with a near perfect BBS shave. I rubbed the left over lather on my face and waited to rinse it off while I cleaned up my area. Once rinsed a splash of witch hazel with menthol and I am off. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Clint!

10. Norcalnewb

F1AFB6A4-A437-4B24-8FC8-FE8CED72FFC5.jpeg

TOVember 1 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    La Toja Shave Stick
    Ikon X3 Slant
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill AS

First shave of the No Focus Focus, and I went with the Ikon X3. It was an easy two pass DFS. The La Toja stick was top notch this morning as I got the lather just about perfect. I finished with a Glacial Lemon Chill, which was chilly as always, had a little @Drygulch moment after (also chilly :Animatedfrozensmily: ), and am off to start my Wednesday. I hope everyone has a great day!

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 1

Weber SS
    Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
    Simpson Chubby 2 Super
    Castle Forbes Lavender shave cream
    Thayers Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Alt-Innsbruck

[​IMG]

12. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Charlie! I enjoy all the pictures lately!

13. wristwatchb

Thanks Jim!

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD November 1, 2017

Prep: Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: Schick I1 injector
    Brush: Jayaruh boar
    Lather: Fine Lavender
    WTG, touch up

Pretty good shave but a little redness on my neck. That's a little unusual. It's calmed down for the most part. I'm thinking the blade may need changing on the I1. It's hard to keep up with how many shaves are on each blade when I rotate through 8 injectors.

The Fine soaps are the real deal. Great slickness and protection. Hope everyone has a great day!

SOTD 11-1-17.JPG

15. wristwatchb

Thanks, Neal, and thanks for leading the charge again this month. I'm already enjoying this focus.

16. Norcalnewb

Nice set up Perry!

17. wristwatchb

I've always been a fan of classical violin, but I think this bow is a shredder.

1.jpg

18. wristwatchb

Clint, your brass General is a beauty! How does it shave compared to the Mongoose?

19. wristwatchb

Cool photo, Jim! I'm itchin' to get another slant. I had a Merkur, but I passed it on awhile back. Have you tried others along with the Ikon?

Are the Dodgers gonna do it tonight?

20. wristwatchb

Looks like you've been 'itchin too! :happy102:

As they say in the World Series, Play Ball!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.