NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Clint, They have just enough menthol to get you going, but not enough that over takes the aftershave

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

While they look cool unless you and very good with straights I recommend a round point or a French point. I also have a Robert Williams Purist Kamisori and it looks cool and vicious and because of the extreme point I nick myself allot with it.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Keith! I have been looking at the Portland Razor Co. western kamisori razors also. I appreciate your endorsement!

The spell checker can only do so much...:happy102:

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, Bill_F and 2 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

Everyone is at a different level of inventory, some have a 3 month supply, some a 3 year supply, and some of us have a 3 lifetime supply.

Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!

wmbjr, Rufus T., Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

Funny story. After I get out of the shower I put The Veg on, my daughter comes in our bedroom 3 minutes after I had splash some on... "It smells like an old man in here" :D

wmbjr, Rufus T., Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Point taken, Kerry. I'm just having fun with you guys. I'm somewhere between the 3 year and 3 lifetime supply myself. I can use the same set up for weeks and derive great enjoyment from working on my technique.

...but I may just get punchy enough to try one of them Voskhod blades in 2016.

wmbjr, Rufus T., Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

;)

8. wristwatchb

"Better not light a match in here." Oh...you said shower. :D

9. wristwatchb

November 24

Feather Artist Club SS
    Feather Professional (7)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine L'Orange Noir

Goals
    Further develop my two-pass shave technique by practicing the basics
    Break in and get more experience with the Semogue 830
    Get more experience with MdC

Two passes (WTG and ATG) plus a few touch-ups this morning, and I'm near BBS. I'm having more fun each day with the Feather AC as I continue to develop my skills. A new blade tomorrow and six more shaves until I wrap up my November focus.

Happy Thanksgiving week!

SOTD_112415.JPG

10. Keithmax

To pile it higher and deeper, here are some pics to encourage you to get a western kami. This razor is flat out the best shaving straight I have.
    max - 1.jpg max - 2.jpg max - 3.jpg

wmbjr, RaZorBurn123, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Nov 25 Focus shave 25

Now that I think I found the key to lathering DR Harris the final test, a SR shave. I have a custom brush that is a wood handle with an Omega Pro boar knot set a little deeper than my Omega Pro. It is truly a destroyer of hard soaps. The brush did as always and ate up the soap and the lather was good. The passes felt smooth and efficient. The alum test had just little feedback. I thought for sure I caught the baby but it I was just shot of BBS.

Irritation A-, closeness A-

DR Harris Arlington
    Custom boar brush (Omega Pro knot)
    Hart Steel 7/8 French point
    Dry Gulch strop
    Lucky Tiger AS
    Speick ASB
    Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ètè

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. wristwatchb

Keith, that is a beauty, and I do think the rounded tip would suit me better. Thank you for sharing those photos. They show the features of this razor much better than the photos on the PRC website.

I'm not sure if I'd like a wrapped handle. No doubt, it would provide a nice, comfortable grip. It just seems like it would be hard to keep dry and clean. (I can't use my Feather AC without getting the handle wet.) How do you like it?

wmbjr, RaZorBurn123, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

I also debated about the grip too, I had the same fears. So far no troubles and I am happy I got the wrap. I guess if you don't like it you can always remove it.

The round tip kami is custom order so you can ask them to put some jimps on the handle too incase you want to remove it. They are great to work with but expect to wait and wait.

14. wristwatchb

Your comments on the wrap are helpful and encouraging. Thanks also for the comments on the round tip and the jimps. I would want both of those features for safety reasons. And I don't mind a long wait, particularly for such a well-designed razor. I'm gonna noodle on it, but you may have hooked me. :D

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

16. wristwatchb

Let's get one apiece. You and me. Can't be any more dangerous than driving in Atlanta traffic. :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy102: That's true. Buying one and using it are to very different things. The PRC is a work of art. Maybe I could just buy it for display. But then I would have to try it. :shocked003:

wmbjr, RaZorBurn123, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  18. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I LOVE the Voskhods!

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I would just like to point out that with your pain stick usage, you should have no trouble with a kamisori. I agree with the comments on the jimps, but I think you could handle the point on the blade with out going rounded. You could always ask them to mute the tip, which takes off the most dangerous bit, but still allows you to get in close for detail work. The more I use square tipped razors, the less I like the round tip ones.