NOVember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2016.

?

What are your plans for NOVember

Poll closed Nov 30, 2016.
  1. No Variation baby! Gonna RULE this month!

16.7%
  2. No Variation on the razor/blade but I'll FOCUS around it!

10.0%
  3. Gonna do my own thing, thank you very much....because I CAN!

36.7%
  4. Shenanigans Palooza baby!

20.0%
  5. Forget this shaving thing....it's really NO SHAVE November, no matter what you say!

3.3%
  6. I'm more worried about getting in shape to make it to the table on Thanksgiving!

3.3%
  7. Cookies. Lots of cookies. SO MANY cookies!

36.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

FullSizeRender.jpg Arko again, I went into the do-- bag and grabbed my stick of Arko for today's shave. Loaded up a Cobra Classic with a fresh blade and got busy.

While Arko wilted in the HT scuttle it performs awesome as a shave stick. 4 quicker passes with the Cobra and the result.... an epic shave. An epic shave is when everything the planets align, technique and tools to produce a zero irritation shave and long lasting BBS. Plus no hiccups along the way.

I've tried many of the Feather blade SE razors and the Cobra Classic performs the best fo r me.

RyX, Drygulch, PanChango and 8 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember!!

November 1

Grand Blade Trial - NOVember Shave

Razor - Rabbit Straight
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, Nivea

Annnnndddddd we're off! As I posted earlier, I'll be continuing on with the GBT but only one blade a week. I'll start this month off with a No Variation Straight shave. So for the first four days it's the Rabbit. I'll return to the Trial on Saturday with the Bic Astor blade. Then after three days with it I'll go to the Gold Dollar 800 for 4 days and so on.

It's been awhile since I've had a traditional straight in my hand so a bit of trepidation to start. (Nice use of a college word, yes?) I only lathered one side of my face so I'd have time to work without it drying out the other side but, thankfully and surprisingly, I finished the right side in record time for a straight. I was able to hit the angle right off the bat and adjust as I went to finish the right side, then lathered the left and did the same. That side did take a bit longer as my left hand is the weak one.

Lathered again, the whole face this time, and worked on XTG/ATG. No blood though there was one close call where the tip dipped on me but I corrected in time. Got to a high CCS/low DFS and called it a successful run. As I was rinsing and wiping the extra lather I noticed my only problem. I managed to notch the left side of my goatee on the jaw line. Just a nice little notch out of it where I got in too close with the heel of the razor. Oh well, nothing major, by the time I trim the goatee next week it will all be back to normal and besides, my natural good looks and charm can overcome something like that.

Hope your new month is off to a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing all the great gear around here this month and let the shenanigans begin!!!

rabbit.jpg

wristwatchb, RyX, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Angle is what's keeping me from perfection with shavette. Let's talk through the contrasts between the equipment as we progress through November.

wristwatchb, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

I get way up on the cap on Fatip, keeping angles SR low, full stretches. You get it for sure.

wristwatchb, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Welcome aboard! Any specific goal with regard to techniques this month?

wristwatchb, RyX, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

ALL Rapira labels, Ladas, Voskhod and Sputnik are cartel approved Moscow goodness. I like the Swedish Supersteel version, but they are all good blades.

7. Bama Samurai

1 November 2016
    Shavette Angle Rule

image.jpeg
    Actually caught DFS on two rather easily, had the Arko extra dialed in after @Keithmax reminded me that it needs a lot of water for optimal SR/shavette performance. Tried to really focus on keeping angle low today. The Voskhod was smooth as silk, only one little weeper on the neck, it actually stopped before the alum application, which was rather quiet. Fresh Veg!!! Working like crazy in the howling wind today left me ready for a good shave, and it all worked out. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.​

Have a nice Wednesday!
    :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Sounds good to me.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 2, 2016
    Wolfman WR-01 Ti OC with Triad Ti
    Personna 74 (4)
    Simpson CH 2 Synthetic Badger
    Mystic Water Eucalyptus & Spearmint
    Witch Hazel
    Fine L’Orange Noir
    Whipped Shea Butter

[​IMG]

I am really enjoying this current line up. Everything just works so well together. A 3 pass shave with touch ups ended in a near BBS. I finished up with a splash of Fine L'Orange Noir. I hope everyone has a fantastic Wednesday.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks! I would just like to dial in my shave with the Tech this month. I have been getting good shaves with them, but would like it to be better. I think a month with the same razor will help. Also I am still trying to finish some of the shave creams currently near the end. This morning I said good bye to my tube of CO Bigelow.

Gillette Tech Weber Bulldog
    Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    Semogue BC Mistura
    CO Bigelow SC
    Alum
    Superior 70

A nice comfortable shave, but not the closest under the jaw line.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It looks like a great setup. Good to hear your getting great shaves from this grouping. It's hump day, so enjoy. :)

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good setup!!!

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Today's hotel shave. I checked a bag on this trip.
    IMG_5022.JPG

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4345.JPG

November 2 SOTD:

Jayaruh #5
    L'Occitane Cade SC
    Schick Hydro-magic
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Special Reserve

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

That is a better looking hotel shave than I have ever had.

17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

November 2, 2016- "No Expectations"

Razor: G3 Aristocrat Adjustable (4)
    Blade: GSB (3)
    Brush: Floppy Chinese Pure Badger
    Soap: Nutragena French Milled Soap

I don't know why, but I really like this soap. Fortunately, I'm going on travel for work next week so, hopefully, I can snag another bar or two at the hotel.

Another effortless DFS which is what I'm hoping for out of this month.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

19. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic LE
    Mystic Water Barbershop
    One Blade
    Feather FHS-10
    Stirling Soap Co. Barbershop Aftershave
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Douglas Carey, RyX and 6 others like this.
  20. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Nice lather!:)