November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I asked at the end of today's report for opinions on No Variation, No Repeat or No Plan. So far, No Variation isn't on the board...

brit, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Just goes to show how the whole YMMV thing plays out...
    I was on the flip side of that "experiment. From the very first shave with that razor, I knew one would end up in my den. And - one did. I've been using it quite a bit lately, not just because I enjoy it, but it's a time saver. Unlike DE razors that I disassemble and clean, the Supply gets a quick rinse and pat-dry. I love the weight and feel of the razor, and the angle is intuitive for me. You got the chance to try it and save money. I fell for Jared's enabling technique. :)

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

After one day, definitely agree Perry. Different than Schicks. Not a value judgement, just different.
    John- I’ve never used the metal PAL or the PAL Adjustable so I can’t comment on the comparison. The Injectomatic? If that was the first Safety Razor I ever tried, I might have gone back to a Mach 3. And that’s not hyperbole. ‘Tis a dialed in, efficient shaver now though. Will try the 3 dot followed by the Injectomatic later this week. For science.

5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

With your den? No Repeat is a definite option. I am doing it, and the masochistic side of me is looking forward to seeing what software combos I am left with as the month progresses.

brit, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    November Focus
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    I have decided this month will be a "No Variation" of the above products.
    I am confident that I can "titanic" my way through all of them.
    Razor/Brush will be chosen at my discretion.

Let the month begin...
    Thursday, November 1

[​IMG]
    Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose~~Vie-Long Beehive~~Feather AS-D2~~Personna 74~~Burt's Bees Bay Rum
    IMG_8272.jpeg

As you can see, I am nearing the final stretch of the MW. The ubiquitous donut has made its appearance.
    This, of course, is when shave soaps become particularly stubborn...and who wouldn't, knowing that the end is nigh.
    This is absolutely THE slickest soap I have EVER used. I defy anyone to name me a SLICKER soap---not just one "as slick".
    They do not exist.
    Today's brush is a Vie-Long Silvertip Beehive. I am the second owner of this brush. I enjoy it, despite it having been rather roughly used.
    The beehive handle is very handsome; it has a "hand-turned" appearance. When this brush is used up, I will surely
    keep this handle and have it re-knotted.
    Feather AS-D2 (Champion of Buffing) was loaded with the veteran Personna 74.
    I have to be seriously careful not to get carried away with this combo. I could slide all over my face without issue...

until I don't lift the razor when moving sideways...today, I was careful.
    Finished with a splash of the Thayer's/DRH and finally some generous squirts of the BBBR.
    No problems today. Just a lovely BBS-start to the month.

brit, Drygulch, FaceScraper and 13 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I found the Supply to be a close experience to the PAL Adjustable. I used both on loan at first, then ended up with a PAL Adjustable from a big lot purchase. I ended up selling it. The Schicks just work better for me.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Excellent Plan for the month, Joseph! Will you be sad to see any of it gone ? Plans to replace any of the items ?

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great plan, wonderful photos, and informative post as usual!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you John. I enjoy reading your shave reports on the different razors.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

November 1, 2018

Razor: Flawsome NDC Contract Tech
    Blade: 7 o'Clock Permasharp Stainless (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Soap: Der Vergulde Hand

It's November, and my goal is no razor repeats. That should be easy enough so I'm trying for something more focused: "NOthing But Techs". This should be easy enough since I have 20 of them plus various Tech-like and clone razors. To kick the month off, I'm starting with a fairly humble example which aspires to flawsome status.

The baseplate and handle for this razor came, along with a mismatched cap, as part of a lot. The handle was bereft of any plating while the baseplate had a few hints of gold along with copper areas and some grey areas that I initially thought were corrosion. More recently, I discovered that the baseplate is actually steel which must have been plated with copper prior to the gold wash. The areas that I thought were corrosion were actually bare steel. The current black color of the baseplate is actually a coat of Rustoleum Ultimate hammered metal paint. I initially painted the handle, but was unhappy with the result so I stripped off the paint (some still remains in the deep crevices). While cleaning it, I discovered that the metal (whatever it is, it is non-ferrous), polished to a pewter-like finish which I like the look of.

And the shave? Most excellent, as is to be expected.

I suppose I should consider a trip to DeltaEcho or Northshore for this razor, though I kind of like it as it is. We'll see how the Rustoleum holds up over time. My only real concern is the mystery metal of the handle and whether it might eventually corrode from contact with water and brass (think Zamac cap failure, but in reverse).

IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG

brit, Drygulch, FaceScraper and 13 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Awesome, the shoes really complete the outfit.

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Nice setup, Clint! Very fancy scmantzy and luxurious. Just like you...

Just say "NO". That's the advice given to me by Nancy Reagan's psychic anyway.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Great Flawsome Tech to get the month started, John!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great plan for November. This will be interesting.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This should be fun. Looking forward to the parade of razors.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Randy. My wife loves buying me AOS Creams. I am not about to tell her no. I am dumb but not that dumb.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No and No...
    Thank you Perry.
    ...if not redundant...;)

19. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

I'm in! Real life got in the way of shaving for me in October unfortunately and I wasn't able to post much. Since I definitely don't have enough razors/products to change it out every time I shave I'm going to focus on using the same setup mostly. Might have a little variation in the soaps as I'm trying out a few samples I generously received from @RyX and another from a PIF from @BaylorGator.

Planning on using

Gillete Tech Razor
    various creams
    Personna blade

Hoping I can continue to improve my technique! Happy November gentlemen!

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Thank you... It's pre-War counterpart is next up.

I wouldn't set my hopes *too* high. This will probably get redundant pretty quick. :) I may have to think of ways to keep it interesting.

Something occurred to me this morning and I want to get the group opinion. November 11 is Veteran's day. Strictly speaking, the only "military" Tech that I have is a Canadian pre-War in a Khaki set, though I do have various US ones which were likely military issue (i.e., Contract Tech with transitional baseplate). Would using the Canadian one on Veteran's day be inappropriate to the holiday? Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.